basspro159

how do you modify a mold?

I am new to pouring ang just got the screwlock tip up mold from do-it. I bought several sizes in hooks but the 1/8 oz. mold calls for a number 1 size hook. i was wanting to use like a 3/0 size. What is the best way to get the hook to fit, or can this not be done? I did a search for modifing a mold but could not find anything. Thanks, John

Depending on the hook and how much bigger the wire size is, I have been able to put the bigger hook in and slam the mold closed and make it happen. :lol: Along with some dremmel work. :wink: I drill out the eyelet area deep and fill full of permatex ultra copper high temp silicone. Then the mold can take a flat eye, reg, and many others. :wink:

Like previously mentioned, a Dremel and some patience. First thing to check is if the hook will fit in the shank area, just to find out. If it does, then all you have to do is grind the eye area out so the hook eye will fit. If the hook wire is too thick to fit in the mold, you will need to decide if you ever want to use smaller hooks or not. Once you modify that part of the mold, it's never going to be the same again. If you decide you will only be using the large hooks, then take the Dremel to it, but go slowly and in small increments. If you overdo it here, you will get flash pouring out the bottom of the hook. Do a small amount, check it, and repeat that until it closes snugly. I modify all of my molds' eyelets, but have never messed with the shank area itself.