gadawgs

I need some help

First of all, thank ya'll for all of the help you've given me previously and I'm sorry I have'nt been to help ya'll as much. secondly I've decided I'm going to make a mold of my swimbaits using alumilite. So, exactly what materials do I need?(what type of resin, ect.) How well do rtv molds hold detail? And should I mold my master as one piece and then cut the joints or should I cut the joints and and then mold them individually? I'm afraid I will mess the master up trying to cut the joints first, but I don't know how diffilcult it will be to cut them into the resin bait. Thanks again.

I'm Sorry I miss read the ? I thought you were asking about 1 piece mold verses two piece. I use aluminite regular and add micro balloons.. mold your original in one piece so you can reuse.to make more molds Cut your joints on a small band saw. you will have to build a jig to hold your blank level and parallel,,, draw a line from the mouth to the center of the tail use that to build your jig.. cut one side then flip..

Edited by K.C.K.

Obviously, the best way would be to mold the cut sections seperately, it will save on cutting joints in the future. But I do understand your reluctance after all the hard work on your master.

A tip read here on TU: Next time, after cutting the blank profile and before shaping, cut the joints but not all the way through, so you still have a one piece body for shaping. If you mess up, it is not too painful to start again, after all, you want your master to be perfect.

After shaping and carving, you can complete the cut with confidence, as the innitial cut is straight.

Dave

Vodkaman

I respectively have to disagree about cutting joints after the fact. If you make the proper jigs to hold your blank in the right position you can cut joints rapidly and accurate. I can cut 10 swimbaits in about 15 minutes.

sure it takes time to make your jigs but the time saved buy not having to pour multiple sections could be negligible That said if he is not using the standard v joint and is using something like a piano type hinge then it is a no brainier you would have to pour in sections...

I was thinking I could mold it one piece then cut it into a different number of sections depending on what I wanted to use each bait for.Also, does anyone have any thought on how well an rtv mold will hold detail? Just wondering if it is worth carving scales into my bait.Will they show up?

And last, specifically what kind of aluumilite resin should I use? thanks again for all help.

Most people use Alumilite - Products - Casting Resins - Alumilite Regular

Add 1 to 1 resin to micro balloons for floaters 1-1/2 to 1/2 for sinkers you can use the same amount of ballast for each using this method.

RTV holds detail well but you will notice loss of some detail after about 30 or more pours..

Scales will show up but you have to take into consideration what topcoat thickness and how much hook rash will affect the scales, personally I like to paint on scales and go with a thick smooth topcoat for more durability.

Edited by K.C.K.

you convinced me not to carve scales. I would post pictures but I'm probaly the only 19 yr old that doesn't know how. I can get em on to photo bucket but after that I become computer illiterate.

I meant to ask before where is the best place to order microballoons.

Edited by gadawgs
adding text

Gadawgs, I tried to PM this to you, but PM is turned off.

Open 2 windows, in one, start writing your TU post. In the other, open photobucket and get your picture up.

Place your cursor in the middle of the pic, right click and select copy. Switch to the TU post, place your cursor in the middle, right click and select paste.

Done.

Dave

Gadawgs, the preferred and proper way to display pics, is to re-size them first (620x280 pixels) and then upload.

Instructions for these operations can be found under "how to" at the top of the page. Then select "site usage instruction". There you will find three posts that cover everything.

Note, your pic WILL be deleted if you fail to re-size.

Site Usage Instruction - Tackleunderground link to 'site usage instruction'.

Dave