2fishon

how do you smoke a mold?

When you pour lead. Do you find it pours better with a full pot? I have been trying to pour with a lee's pot , with only about 2 inches of lead in the pot. Just wondering if it would work better with a fuller pot. Lead is not filling the mold. I have tried heating the mold, turning up temp, and fluxing with candle wax. Sometime mold will fill sometimes not. Not filling good at all when i put in the wire inserts.

thanks I will put that on my list of things to try

Many times, the mold isn't vented well enough. All you need to do, to assure it's vented, properly is score a couple of thin lines, from the top of the cavity, to the edge of the mold, which will allow the air in the mold to escape. Many of the better made molds are too tight. :twocents:

Another option is a mold release, used by cast bullet makers...I've used the Midway version on my do-it molds and it makes a big difference...assuming of course everything else is right, mold temp, alloy and even insert/hook temp....sometimes an external warm up with a torch once the wires or hooks are inside allows them to warm up a bit before the pour. Cast bullet folks require much better detail from their moulds and we can learn alot from them.