swimbait help- beware: a newbee question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 go4bas

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:59 AM

Hey guys....been having fun making plugs so far and want to tackle a swim bait. Any advise, posts, or pics for me to begin. I really want to take the easiest route to beginning and trying something proven as they look like much more work than the traditional bait.

thanks in advance,

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

look at the TU gallery and some tackle sites and see how the swimbaits are built as far as weight, number of segments, lip/no lip, and how the segments are proportioned. I recommend a 5-7" swimbait with 2 joints (3 segments) as a first product. It's a relatively small swimbait and light enough to throw without a special rod/reel. The simplest hinge uses interlocked screw eyes, two per joint. There are hinges that are much more complicated but IMO none that work better.

#3 Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,111 posts
Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

Bob is right on the money. I have already abandoned one swimbait project, because I got too technical with the hinges and I went too small.

Keep the first one simple and learn from it. Lots of people to help here, so report back with your progress, so I can learn some more.