Net Man

Devcon 2T (NOT GOOD!!!)

:eek: I am not having good luck with d2t. I heat it up before I mix it. Then I put a small amount on aluminum foil (enough for 2 baits). I brush it on and than use a hair dryer to smooth it out. After that the bait goes on the drying whell. The next day the bait looks like crap.:lolhuh: It is so rough and some time will have sticky spots on it. I have read on this site many different ways to do it but I just can't get a good looking bait.:? So I need some help Please.:sauced:

Michael

No need to heat devcon before mixing. If you have sticky spots then it was not mixed well. I brush it on thick then brush off the excess. Put on the drying wheel and let it go. No need to do the extra steps as it will self level.

Exactly........ Sounds like a mixing problem....... Try a non-porous plastic cup.... like the kind that comes with Robitussin or NyQuil for mixing....... Is this D2T from the syringe or a bottle...... You also have to make sure the two parts are equal.... if D2t is mixed well there will NOT be any sticky spots.... it will also self-level so there will NOT be any rough spots ............

Good luck.............

Yes, sticky spots come from not mixing it thoroughly. Sticky all over, you didn't measure it right. The rough spots are due to heating it before application and accelerating the cure too much. At 65 degrees or above there is no need to heat D2T. If you're in a cold garage, submerge the epoxy in a pan of warm tap water for awhile. If you want to thin it, a FEW (3-4) drops of denatured alcohol stirred in after mixing works. The container you mix it in should not have recesses where unmixed epoxy can hide during the mix. I use a small jar top, covered with tin foil, and a cut strip from a credit card as a mixer. If you apply epoxy with a good brush, there will be few or no bubbles. Exhale on a bubble and it will disappear 99% of the time. Slap that baby on the lure turner and walk away. The epoxy will do the rest.

I use the bottom of a coke can, no corners to hide in. Then, after mixing, transfer to ally foil, mix some more. Should be no problem after that. Wipe off the stirrer after the first mix.

Mixing on foil first leaves too make creases for unmixed epoxy to hide, especially if you are scraping the last bit to finish the job. Better to mix too much than not enough.

Dave

I have tried doing this with no heat and the epoxy is so thick that is has a yellow tint. Someone on here told me to heat it a little before mixing.

I will do a better job mixing it and try to do it with no heat and thining it down a little. How many coats do you use when thinned?

Thanks

Michael

:?

If it has yellowy tint to it, it may not be so fresh. Personally I only mix for one bait at the time. When I first started using Devcon I tried to do more than one and for me quickly learned to do one at a time. I also use revolving brushes. A new mix and a new brush each time. I put my brushes in laquer thinner reuse them over and over. I use "flux" brushes from the plumbing department. They are around $1.50 for several of them.

mossy maker

I am new to this but have never seen D2T yellow prior to being exposed to the sun and heat for extended periods. I mix a few drops of acetone or denatured alcohol after the initial mix. I also mix in the bottom of an inverted drink can. Mix with a piece of bent wire the shape of the can bottom. Fold it together minimizing air bubbles. The thinner retards the curing time slightly allow me to work 4-5 lures at a time. I coat them and straight to the drying wheel. It sounds as if your epoxy is bad to start. Mine is always clear before applying and after.

Net Man

I do baits one at a time. I buy cheap plastic ice cube trays from the dollar store. I can use one cube per mix, then throw it away after I've used them all.

It allows me to exhale CO2 from my breath into the cube which is smaller at the bottom than the top. Then mix it thourghly with a amall split ice cream stick. Continue exhalling CO2 into the cube, because it will make any bubbles be CO2 and they will come out of solution much eaiser than air with nitrogen in it. You can then comfortably mix it well and it is contained in a small space.

Mix it well then follow closely the directions on this site for applying and it will work well.

OK Guys! I have to give it to you. I put a coat of d2t on last night and it worked beautiful. I added 4 drops of thinner and no heat. Mixed it very well and brushed it on and put it on the wheel. Wa La!! :worship:

I am good to go now. Just got to find another place to buy it now.

Thanks

Michael:yeah: