BASSINPEAK

Paint Splattering Need Help

im painting with createx paints, psi is set on or about 25. using a ps900 airbrush.. problem just comes and goes but at all the wrong times.. to make this short the problem is i go from laying down a good smooth layer of paint to getting splatters out of no where.. in between changin paint colors i give the brush a good cleaning to have no clogs. and its always the color im using that splatters.. any help would be greatful..

Several possible causes, is the paint too thick?

I may be (see attached drawing) a loose needle cap (1), Nozzle cap(2) 'O' ring split (4), air cap body loose(5) or 'O' ring split (6), try tightening the caps first, then dip the nozzle in some water and detergent mix, if there are any leaks around these joints you will see bubbles when you operate the trigger. It could just need a good clean too, and there could be a bit of muck in the needle bore in the tip. OR it may be a bent needle tip - these tend to catch a small amount of paint over a short time, and eventually this will be blown of, giving you a splatter. Mine needs a new 'O' ring and it sometimes sounds like a machine gun, with the air pressure pulsing up and down (especially on high volume paint flow), and it spits - the fix for mine is (6), which I have not got round to, so the next lures I post will have 'freckles'.pete

http://www.nbimarketing.net/downloads/PS900instructions.pdf

Pete, you forgot to tell Bassinpeak about filing the inside of the needle cap w/ a fine jewelry file & the hole you drilled in your work bench to put the windex filled caulking nozzle that you rest your brush in to keep the needle wet between painting layers.

Bassinpeak, everthing I learned about the PS900 was from Pete.

I don't have a small file yet, so I just take my needle cap off when spraying. Be careful though, you don't want to bend that needle. I also found that a higher psi was working better for me.

Pete's right.. you need to check all of that to find the problem.. normally when I have this problem.. I just take out the needle and jam it back in real good!! good tip for those that want a splatter back.. take the needle out a bit and you can come up with some funky sparys!!!

Good luck dude hope you fix your problem.

The Rookie

Edited by The_Rookie

I was reading through some old posts, when I found this one from Lincoya.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/294-prevent-airbrush-tip-build-up-while-spraying.html

It might be relevant to your problem, but either way, I think the idea was worth mentioning.

There is a lot of very good info in the older posts that gets missed. Next time you run out of reading material, go to hardbaits forum and click the down arrow next to the heading 'last post'.

Dave

Yep, and I got them all from here - check out Vman's ('Lincoya') post, I have been grinding the tip out with a jewellers file, and Gene says, use some wax polish, that's an excellent idea, thanks Gene. I have been having all sorts of finish problems lately, and just ruined another paint job, all my own stupid fault of course - another hours work down the tubes.pete

bassin more than likely your paint is to thick try thinning it some more and straining it to make sure that there are no clumps or thick particles in it if this doesnt solve your problem just give me a shout you dont live very far from me and i will be glad to help you find out just what is going on since you just live across the river from me :yay: later rob "jawjacker" cochran