Midnight cougar

inline spinner, bucktails

I have looked at the website quite a bit, and it looks like the best place to ask a few questions. I've been searching how to make big musky bucktails for a few months now. i'm looking at all the combinations everyone on this website uses.

On ebay last week i found someone selling musky lures, that they made with 150# leader wire. stating that the flexibility makes it almost impossible for a fish to throw it. i can't seem to find anyone on this site that has used it. I don't have money (or a job) to go wild and buy a bunch of stuff i won't use very much. so i have to start small. It would be cheaper for me to start out with using large leader wire (like 150# or 250# for a little more stiffness, just to get started.

Does anyone have any good or bad reason to use or not to use wire with the leader crimps? What kind of wire would be better? the single strand, coated, uncoated, 7 strand? the more i look for information the more i'm debating if i want to try it.

it just seems easier to use wire. i have a terminator buzzbait that uses wire to connect the hook. I would always use a bunch of leaders. It'll be alot of fun to make combinations, with endless possibility's. and it'll give me more of a reason to fish all day long, and we all need one of those!!:worship:

Thank you everyone in advance.

For musky, use .051" stainless steel wire. the torsion straightened stuff, if you get it by the coil, which will make between 50 and 150 spinners, or you can by it in short lengths from tackle making suppliers, like Stamina or Reel Pro.

If I understand what you were describing from e bay, someone is making them out of 7 strand leader wire? I haven't tried it, but I would guess that the blades wouldn't spin as reliably because of the flex. Let me know what happens if you try it, though. Hope this helps.

Alex

I'm not really sure what he made it out of, it was a few weeks ago that i found it.

i think i would like to get it in the coil. i'm sorry i'm new to this whole lure making thing. Thanks thats the first time ive seen torsion straitened stuff. i'm finding alot of .041" thats like 300#. I'll have to wait till i get my lure making catalogs i ordered a bunch last week. How do you finish the ends? do you use crimps or can it be twisted with pliers?

today I bought 10pc .051" 12inch wire forms for about $3.00 shipped. i was planning on getting a bunch of .041 6 inch ones to start playing with cause it'll be cheaper and the practice never hurts.

Whenever i look for something specific i can't find it. i am having a hard time finding .051 torsion straightened coil. making 50-150 spinners is well worth it and a few beginner mistakes won't be as bad on 12in .051. until i have the money to buy more stuff if. I have a bunch of plastic beads and some weights and quick change clevises, a few big blades from my old stuff for worm rigs. so that'll work for a start. It'll be a little while before i try it but i'll be sure to tell ya'all how it works.

thanx alex.

Try Barlow's Tackle for the wire

FISHING TACKLE for bass fishing, crappie, walleye, trout.Fishing lures, fishing hooks, lead molds. BARLOWS FISHING TACKLE.

You'll also need some roundnose pliers, which you can get there, or you could go to any hobby type store that has jewelry making supplies and get them there.

You don't crimp this stuff, you bend a loop and wrap the tag end around the shaft. I think there are some tutorials on this topic.

I practiced with some .024" wire cuz it was cheaper and easy to bend.

Actually leader wire can be used and whoever said this on ebay has a valid point. What he is using is a single strand wire leader used commonly in saltwater fishing. The drawback to using this type of wire instead of the other wire mentioned above is that it can be prone to kinking also. While I have never had any of mine kink to the point where they would actually break, the kink depending on where it is could keep the blades from spinning properly, so less fish per lure is possible. But building replacements is part of the fun also so go for it.

thanks alot guys. i got my barlows catalog yesturday and i got netcraft today. theres a huge difference in price on some stuff. I'm talking with someone that has a boggs benchtop wireformer that goes up to .051 and a bunch of stuff from when he was selling lures. that would be perfect.

i've been finding alot of different recomendations, for different type of wire, for blades, and clevises.

clevises i'm thinking sz4. $3.16 for 100 but maybe 3 for .041-.045 wire, with 5-7 indiana blades to start with. then go alot bigger.

Is there anyone that has the treble hooks with the bucktail on them cheap?? all i'm finding are very expensive. i'll end up making them sometime down the road.

With everything set up and all the materials and tools to hand, you should be able to make as many as 20 - 30 in an hour. It is just a bit fiddly for the first dozen or so, after that you'll be flying.

Having said that, you should not tie for more than 15 mins without a break, or you will hurt your eyes. It can be intense with the concentration.

I used to tie flies in my youth, I wouldn't dare attempt it now, without someone beside me with a pair of scissors, ready to cut my fingers loose, my eyes are that bad.

Dave

is just about all the single strand SS wire torsion straitened? I've been looking on ebay they have quite a bit of single strand, but i can't find any that says it is torsion straitened. it's just easier to buy it off ebay for me then out of a catalog.

if bucktails hooks aren't cheap, MT i guess your right tommorow might be down the road...lol

i found some that said u can put them on with zip-ties, which i'm thinkin might be a good idea at first. just to figure out good color schemes. then use the kevlar string. i'm goin to have to look up how to make them with the string and what epoxy to use.

does anyone have any recomendations for .041 wire and .051 wire. what size blades, clevises, bead size, and your colors if you don't mind sharing. i have a 8"+ spinner, black bucktail with a orange blade, brassbodys,+beads i was nailing huge bass on, also had a musky follow it right to shore. i lost that one i bought another one at walmart for 3.50 on sale. for bass and so i can have something to look at while i make some. it's just easier for me when i can look at one.

Have you looked at the gallery? There are some really nice bucktails in there.

#5 -#8 blades are probably the most common size musky bucktails, and then you get your really big ones at 10 and 12 like the Musky Mayhem series.

Of course, each manufacturer has a slightly different sizing system, so you should check out the specs before you buy a bunch.

I have 10pc. .051 12inch wires for my musky spinners.

i bought 400pc .045 6.25 inch to get started. most likely for large bass, pike, and maybe for muskys,depending on the size they come out. I also have 1000pc. 5/32 nickle finish, hollow beads, i know there kinda small, and 10mm plastic fauceted beads.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the other stuff i need for both wires? like size and kind of blades? should i use size #3 clevises with the .046 hole, or can i use the size #4 clevise made for the .051 wire for the .045 wire and .051 wire??

i think i want an assortment of blades of different styles and size 5 or larger. I'de like to put 2 blades on most of the musky wires and 2 hooks. If i use 2 blades does that mean i should use about a size 5-7 instead of the single 8-9+ blade? I like the colorado and the indiana better then the willow. i have glow in the dark paint and UV reflective silver and red paint for blades in the future.

I also have to start making bucktails, and get some of that throttle cable coil to make them with. Also going to have to figure out the size of the hooks i want to use. I think thats all i need to know for now.

But y'all have been a huge help. thank you everyone and i hope i helped someone else wanting to start making there own also. the beers on me buddys :tipsy:

I like the colorado and the indiana better then the willow.

Willow Blade will allow you to fish deeper water and fish faster, when you need to fish shallow or to slow rolling close to the bottom (especially at fall ) - Colorado blades is the choice.