maximusgunn

New tube mold

Nice looking mold.I'm curious how long from start to finish it takes to make four tubes.Excluding the tail cut.I have been asked the question many times,if dipping is faster,and I have no answer,because I never used a mold.Any help would be great.

I have been making tubes for many years,and haven't run into a cutter like you mentioned.What are you using now to cut the tails?Tail cutting isn't very hard,the plastic cuts very easy.I doubt you need a pnumatic cutter.

I use the same cutter as bojon. I have no problems with this mold, it is not made like a tender tube type its more of a flipping tube if you keep the mold warm and the plastic hot you will have no problems. If you want a thinner walled tube kmolds can probably make a thicker rod. And bojon you can pour tubes fast with this mold in my opinion this is much faster than dipping I have done both. Also you can make a solid head with it for better hook holding properties.

Hope this helped.

I think Bojon was looking for a specific time, not a broad term. Fast is a relative term. I'm sure he would say dipping is faster than pouring. It is an interesting question, but doesn't take into account the skill of the maker, which would be hard to account for in either case.

I really liked that the rod position is adjustable, allowing you to make the solid head longer or shorter, to your own taste.

My guess is that the timings will be similar, with the dip being a shade faster. But this is not a race.

Time how long it takes to set up the mold, pour and de-mold, in other words, one complete cycle, then Bojon can do the same. DON'T rush, this is just for interest.

Dave

It would depend, like I said I have done both ways and to dip and get it the same thickness as a mold hand poured I would have to dip at least 2 times depending on salt content, so that is why I said pouring is faster. And T-man I am sure he would not say dipping is faster, if you read his post again he already said he could not say because he has never used a mold to make tubes, but I have done it both ways and pouring is faster. As fast as the pot will pour. When dipping you have to let the first dip set for a couple of seconds before the second coat, and by the time I do the second coat I have already poured my second tube and on to the third one. I am not sure how bojon does his but that is how I dipped mine, so that is why I say pouring is faster. It all depends on how thick you want your tubes with dipping, but with pouring they are perfect every time with the same consistency, now if you had a setup to where you could dip 10 tube rods at once then it would be as fast maybe faster. Too many variables to honestly say which is faster.

Hope this answered some questions.

I like the idea of being able to make a tube with at least a partial solid head.Can't do that with the dipping method.At least I don't know how to do it.I said I never used a mold for a tube,but the fact is I have.Twenty plus years ago I made a pop mold that poured fair,and actually had thin brass spacers on the rod insert to mold the tube and seperate the tail filiments.This eliminated the need for tail cutting,but the demolding and set up was a real pain.This is when I started to dip horizontally,three at a time,and then to single dip.The use of the aluminum mold as shown would make the process much better.The only real thing that bothers me is the restrictions of not being able to make mutiple pours.I can't figure how you could make a three colored tube.or even two.I could set up a four rod dipper,on a common shaft,and time how long it would take to make a couple of dozen with a double dip.If I can come up with a proper pan,I might be able to do a dozen a dip.but that would be a rough balance.Hard to move to a cooling position.Might have to use locking pliers as a handle.I enjoy a challenge and I may give it a try.At this time I'm making my suppy for the season,and most are two,and three colored.Now If only I can get to fish.I will keep you all posted if,and when I try a time trial.:eek:

I tried dipping some tubes yesterday. I used both steel tubing and solid aluminum bar stock. I stuck my finger in worm oil and wiped the rods because dipping the rod in worm oil prevented the plastic from building up.

If I waited 5 minutes or even 15 minutes, the plastic tended to bunch up and stick to itself. I left some overnight and they were okay. How long do you let them cool before sliding the tube off the dipping rod?

Figures, I give up on reading the searched items on dipping and I find one. It looks like I need to find the right balance between the amount of worm oil and the length of cooling time.

The post I found said spray with PAM so I will give that a try too.

Smallie,

First of all rather than using worm oil to lub your rods,try using Pam.Give a gentle spray to your rods,dap them with a cloth,or paper towel.Turn them over and repeat.If you lub the rods too much the plastic will sag,like a runny nose,too little and they are hard to remove,and could distort when you remove them.Use your worm oil later,just before cutting the tails,or when bagging.I think you will have no further problems.

I usually dip about two dozen tubes,and when I dip the last,the first tube can be removed from the rod,or dipped the second dip.They cool fairly quick.As soon as they cool to the touch they can safely be removed.I have about 30 some tube that are on the rods,and have been for months.They were washed with liquid hand soap,and put in a large baggie.These will be ready to paint,then dipped in clear to finish.I use cheap acrilics to paint.There is probably better ways but,this has no fumes,and can be bought at any Wal Mart,or Hobby Lobby.When finished they will come off the rods easy,and not stick.I don't spend a lot of time to make a beautiful paint job,just functional.

If you wanted a 3 color dip, kmolds could make the cavities and rods smaller then you could pull the tubes out with the rods left in and then dip them in your other colors. If you had a divided pyrex cup you could pour laminates, and swirls with the mold as well. I did some tequilla sunrise swirls for someone last week. I have 2- 8 rod dipping tools that I use when I dip, just gets to be a pain. Using the mold is so much easier. Wish I had a video recorder to show the process how fast and easy it really is.

Looks like I will have to get a mold similar to what you use and give the procedures a comparison.Much easier than putting together a 12 to 24 tube dipping rod.The way you make the two,three,and swirl colors is neat,and I would guess fast.The tubes produced would not be the colors that I usually make.Example this AM I'm dipping a shad tube.The main body is silver,the back olive,and the belly off white.I will paint a eye and the shad dot,and then dip in clear.It makes a nice looking effective tube.The fish here have gone to shad feeding,rather than craws.Now the fish are spred out and harder to locate.A craw immitation is easier to make.Just my opinion.

I will let you all know if and when I get the mold and how the systems compare.I doubt it would be able to satisfy my needs.Could this mold make a shad similar to the one I described above?Not including the eye,and dot,and second dip.