CL Rods

Help with Balsa and through wiring

Well I almost piggy backed on the Bondo thread but it really is a different issue.

I have been using basswood and wanted to switch to Balsa for the extra bouyancy for a couple of bait styles. Well Balsa seems SOOOOOO much softer than basswood that after shaping the baits I have been trying using a through wire harness (versus twisted SS wire) by cutting a slot, inserting the SS wire harness, filling with wood filler sanding, and then sealing with Etex before painting.......finish with Etex top coat

Well I am getting some cracking around where the pulls come out. So I was just wondering how other folks may be approaching this. Are you using epoxy on the harness, then filler, then seal ??? What epoxy would you use if you did epoxy the harness first? D2T 5min or something similar?

I'd just like some feedback before switching since the whole process takes a while each time.

Looks like you need something tougher than wood filler in the slot. I'd probably use Rod Bond paste epoxy. It's the consistency of toothpaste when mixed. Epoxy putty would also do the trick but is the consistency of clay and might be harder to install. You can get it at any home center. Personally, I just split the bait with a razor blade, install the hardware and glue it together with 5 minute Devcon.

Looks like you need something tougher than wood filler in the slot. I'd probably use Rod Bond paste epoxy. It's the consistency of toothpaste when mixed. Epoxy putty would also do the trick but is the consistency of clay and might be harder to install. You can get it at any home center. Personally, I just split the bait with a razor blade, install the hardware and glue it together with 5 minute Devcon.

I think I will give the 5min a try. Thanks.

i just started using balsa about a month ago and love the stuff. Its easy to work with and i can make way smaller baits with balsa. What i do is first make the outline of the bait then cut it out and then cut the lure to the thickness i want. After that i draw a line down the middle of the bait and cut it with the band saw. Make my wire harness and put it in the lure and weight the lure then i expoxy the two halves together and then just sand to the shape i want. Havent had any problems yet.

If you are making lures that are 1/2" thick start with 1/4" Balsa. Cut blanks out by stacking the wood depending on how many baits you are making, and use blanks that were from the same area of the board. Sandwich the sides around the wire harness using epoxy. Clamp. Sand to shape when dry.

Tony