Mattmaddog

Need Help Please Painting

I am just beginning i have nothing so far. If you could give me a list of things that i need that would be amazing ANY help is appreciated.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

is that a powerful enough compressor?

also what is a good CHEAP airbrush...

i really just need the whole rundown... if you could help just a little let me know thanks.:yay:

IMO, no, it's not powerful enough. The 30psi is max pressure (before you pull the airbrush trigger). The sustained working pressure is probably around 15psi. You would like a compressor that has at least 30 psi sustained, so one that advertises 45 psi is really minimum, IMO. BTW - it doesn't have to be an airbrush compressor. A small tool compressor with air storage tank is a popular choice. They develop lots of pressure if the higher noise level is not an issue. You'll need a pressure regulator and a moisture trap for anything you buy.

Hey bob thanks for the help i think i got a good compressor lined up but what about the brush? i keep hearing gravity feed is better? what is a good brush under 40 bucks?

It's all a matter of preference. I checked the Craigslist ads and found one for cheap. It'll get me started, then I'll assess if I want to change.

I needed to replace my old airbrush compressor and decided to go with a pancake compressor. I got the 1 gal. CH from Walmart ($55), but it was just too noisy and didn't have a control for the output pressure.

This 3 gallon compressor is on sale at Harbor Freight for $60. It's quieter than the Walmart one and has the output pressure control. For $10 more I got a 2 year over the counter warranty.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95275

If you have a Hobby Lobby close, check out their website for the 40% off coupons they run regularly.

http://hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm?page=2

Harbor Freight has several airbrushes under $30.

Gary

Edited by WannabeeFishing

Here's a $49 alternative:

buyairbrushes.com - Air Pro Tools PS800

I don't use or have any connection with NBI, but several TU'ers like them. The $79 PS9000 with the MAC air valve is well regarded and NBI will supply a second needle and nozzle for a nominal extra cost. There's a thread just below this one discussing a NBI brush.

NBI offers a discount to TU members if you supply a keyword (bigfish1) during the order.

I personally think an airbrush with a .3mm tip is ideal if you are going to have only one airbrush. That's big enough to shoot thicker pearls and metallic paints but small enough to do fine shading. That you can get the NBI brushes with both a .2 and .3mm tip for very little extra $$ is a big plus. For comparison, just a nozzle and needle on an Iwata HP brush retails for about $50.

Edited by BobP

Yep, that's the moisture trap and a psi gauge. There's a little knob on the bottom of the trap that you open to control pressure. I don't like that pressure control because it basically just bleeds air while the compressor runs. if you loosen the knob to lower the pressure, the compressor will run continually. If I were going to use it, I'd buy a separate pressure controller (and the necessary adapters) for about $20 at Home Depot and keep the little knob on the moisture trap screwed shut. Use some PTFE (aka Teflon) plumber's tape on the fittings to prevent air leaks.

Edited by BobP

Matt, building one is far too involved to one finger type all the tricks - if you go to the 'Tutorials' section (bottom of 'FORUM' page), there is heaps of information on anything you need to know in there. Need clarification on anything just ask, as you have probably seen, there is a heap of experience in mistakes, what works, and what is about to work on here.

Example see:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/16336-swimbait-wont-swim.html

pete

Edited by hazmail
Wrong link