Kenny

Getting Started

I just wanted to introduce myself before I started asking alot of questions. I'm just starting to get into making lures. I figure its a good winter, lakes frozen, and night time hobby. I've been doing research on spinner baits, they seem easy. I've also been looking at the crankbaits, I'm really interested in that. I am going to search the forum for the characteristics of the different woods, and how to do the wireing with them, and installing the different lips. Also painting, I plan on starting with model paints and rattle cans for now. I have the airbrush I want to use picked out and compressor.

My first question is, with the unglued crankbaits, what is a good glue to use to put them together?

Thank you for the information I have read and will read in the future.

Redneck!!! AHH a man after my own heart. I have been red since I was 17 and everyone else was listening to late 70's and early 80's rock and I had Willie on the radio. Well back to the topic at hand... Hagen's has a nice wire bender and decent prices in their catalog, they advertise on here occasionally. google "solarbor peachhost" for balsa. As far as painting there are some true VanGoghs on here, just search "painting" and look at the gallery. There are many posts with tons of info to research and digest. My man cave has no heat.. so lots of sufing this winter and bending wire in the basement... best of luck

I use 5 minute epoxy; and brand will do. BTW, the above site is:

http://www.solarbo.peachhost.com/Home.htm

When buying balsa, look for "hard balsa" with a density of 12-16 lbs/cu ft. The balsa used for model airplanes is very light and soft with a density of 6-8 lbs/cu ft. You can use it but it will require heroic measures to reinforce it to make durable baits.

Edited by BobP

Thanks for the quick replies. I got the wire bending down to almost a science. I have been installing cable for 5 years and I use the center conductor for a lot of different things so I have to make my bends tight. I keep epoxy around just in case I'm working on a show car of some sort. Never know when you might need it, and now that you say it, makes sense.

I've been feeling a lot of cabin fever waiting for a warmer day to get out. My wife is making fun of me for wanting to do anything I can with my hands. Thats when I thought of doing this. I collect vintage lures and fishing equipment and signs. I figure I can add to my collection some of my own creations.

My man cave is my outdoor shed, covered in 11" of snow right now, I have a space heater, TV (supervisor of a cable company has its advantages), and my radio. On the radio is a lot of Cash, Hank Jr, Skynyrd, and country. I like 70s and 80s rock, but 90% of it is county and southern rock.