Tman2

Lure Dryer pics

Mine consists of wooden clothes pins glued to a 3/4 in. dowel and spun in V blocks by a weber bbq motor. I originally made the V blocks for spinning rod blanks. The pins are at a right angle to the rod. Simple works great and durable. (in use for 4+ years and 100's of baits.) The bait is att. to the pins by the bills or with mosquito forcep on bait w/o bills. Picture posted early this century.

Mark, I humble accept your hat :)

Pete, I was forced to be busy lol, w/shop still pending full completion so I'm still suffering from lure making withdrawal syndrome. It just no fun to work without the full complement of what tools you know you have but is now residing in boxes :( I think the carvings you saw were to illustrate the article I was writing for a local fishing mag on variations to a pencil. Maybe I'll put the translated version up when it's already published (you know terms with the publisher yadayada...)

Dave, your rating is about the same as my motor. But I am surpriced you asked Dave. It's an engineering problem that is right down your alley to solve. You have the watt, you know the diameter of wheel you want to build and the average weight of the lures you are going to hang there. So you can get your angular momentum from there and determine if it is within the "watt" range of your motor. :teef: Or if you want to be more precise, Moments of Inertia graph can be plotted too B)

This is my dryer. I do bass size baits so it may be small for some. I used a motor from a paint tinting maching. Each tint canister has a motor that keeps the tint mixed. I removed the mixing paddle and mounted it to sheet metal bracket. I used a vacuum cleaner belt run to an empty fishing line spool to gear it down some. The end result was around 5 or 6 rmp. I have a bolt running through the spool and a generic bearing with a sheet metal circle fixed on the end. I have screws through the circle with alligator clamps crimped on the end to hold the baits. I have also made myself some chucks that I can attach and use it for rod building.

mossy maker

dryer 1.jpg

dryer 2.jpg

dryer 1.jpg

dryer 2.jpg

dryer 1.jpg

dryer 2.jpg

dryer 1.jpg

dryer 2.jpg

dryer 1.jpg

dryer 2.jpg

dryer 1.jpg

dryer 2.jpg

dryer 1.jpg

dryer 2.jpg

dryer 1.jpg

dryer 2.jpg

4272_thumb.attach

4273_thumb.attach

I know that I have posted this picture before but here it is again. This is my dryer. It is now in a large framed in box with an angled plexiglass lid. This way I can control the temperature inside the box.

3812d1225058682t-sombody-sell-me-drying-wheel-wheel2.jpg

That is a serious drying wheel Mr. Hughes. :worship: I hope I need one that big someday. I just finished making a new one that holds 45 baits at a time. I also enclosed it to regulate the temp. I used a heat light that keeps it at 84 degrees. It really helped to speed the drying time.

Rofish, anyone who wants a portable clears his lures not just in a shop; so the addiction part is definitely a prerequisite :lolhuh:. Btw, you can buy transformer that converts car DC to AC and run than motor while you are driving towards your fishing destination too :D

I used a portable almost like your design b4 but I used exacto knife handles to hold the lures. Problem is in a moving car with the other side of the lure hanging free, they tend to want to fall or tilt out of place so I added a second wheel with rubber bands as shock absorbing holder B)

LaPala, thanks for your ideas. I'll have to think them over :)

As to the problems you had with your previous dryer, I can assure you they do not have a chance to show up in mine. Exacto handles are long and heavy, while my lure holders are short, light and very powerful. They would not tend to fall out or tilt, even in case of a big earthquake, because the handles of the lureholders are pressed into holes I made in rubber gasket material.

wow lots of good ideas here,more than one way to skin a cat so to speak.Mine is very simple I use a heavy duty actuator motor use in hvac for controlling louvers,It could turn 50lbs of lures if need be....:) I will post a pic later.

Edited by seafoam

As I said, my lure holders are very powerful. They can clamp a crankbait very strongly, by the wire eye. So my lures won't tilt in my lure holders. True, for bigger lures, a dryer with 2 discs to attach the lures between would be a more convinient setup. My lures are no longer than 8 cm, and I think my dryer could handle lures up to 10 cm (4").

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/rofish_2006/rofish_2006-4/photo6.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/rofish_2006/rofish_2006-4/photo5.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/rofish_2006/rofish_2006-4/photo7.jpg