tightliner

sherwin williams armorseal 1k waterbased urethane

Hey guys! I was looking at this one part water base urethane industial floor coating called armorseal 1k. Its low VOC , the company says that it does'nt yellow and its totally water resiliant. I talked to the rep and he said it should be ok for dipping. Just wondering if any one has had any expirience, or heard anything about this clear finish, thanks in advance.

Water resistant is not waterproof. A few TUers tried water based urethane and it didn't work out for them but maybe you'll have better luck. I'm wondering how a water based coating can be submerged in water and not fail. Let us know how it works out!

Water resistant is not waterproof. A few TUers tried water based urethane and it didn't work out for them but maybe you'll have better luck. I'm wondering how a water based coating can be submerged in water and not fail. Let us know how it works out!

There is a new generation of Waterborne products which are very similar to the two part products. Times, they are a changing.:twocents:

Well, don't freak just yet tightliner...most fabric paints are waterbased, acrylic immersion whatever and they hold up quite nicely in water. Y'know, the washer & dryer cycle thing? Seems it's possible, at least to a certain extent, that a water based product can be used as a finish for fishing applications.

Have to admit, it WOULD be nice to have products that are a bit safer on the exposure issue and be effective. Do report what you find, I'm looking for Devcon alternatives myself. Not sure a urethane is a safer step, but waterbased stuff usually is a bit kinder to the user.

Thanks for the reply. I did buy some today and it was cheaper than I thought @ $58.00 a gallon. I'll be giving it a try soon over createx and I will post a follow up on it. By the way, Sherwin Williams Rexthane(@85.00) seems to be very similar to dick nites product. If this doesn't work out I will propably give it a try although it seems that the shelf life is questionable and you really have to watch how you handle it as with any moisture cured solvent based urethane. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated from anyone!!!!!!!!!Also , I am interested in Sherwin Williams products only because I have a freind that works for them and I get his discount. Well, we'll see. Take care all.:yay:

As I was going past my local Sherwin-Williams store I decided to stop in and inquire about this product as my interest was stirred by your original post.

I began by explaining what I wanted it for, fishing lures. It had to be non-yellowing, relatively quick drying, a high gloss hard tough finish and not too expensive. The store manager was aware of the product but not overly familiar with all it's properties and told me she would have to call the Sherwin-Williams Help Desk (where the experts hang out) and get back to me. She called today and said that she had gone over all the requirements I needed with them and their recommendation was - not for underwater use, it won't hold up.

If your testing reveals different results than those given to me, please be sure to post it as I for one would be interested in such a product.

I have an acct at Sherwin Williams and my cost was also $58.00 a gal, Normally $81.00. I asked for a sample or smaller quanity, but it's not offered in smaller than 1 gal at a time. I stopped in the store today and they said it probably won't hold up to a lures enviroment. I passed on trying it for now.

Well I dipped one a few hours ago guys , put it in the hot box for the night. When its cured I'm going to let my jack russell chew on it for a while and then submerge it in the tank for a day or two. Sounds like fun, at least for spazz. (my dog) I'll post back in a few days,enjoy the weekend all!

Well I dipped one a few hours ago guys , put it in the hot box for the night. When its cured I'm going to let my jack russell chew on it for a while and then submerge it in the tank for a day or two. Sounds like fun, at least for spazz. (my dog) I'll post back in a few days,enjoy the weekend all!

If you have a full gallon, you might want to mix it really well and transfer it to some glass jars to keep the majority of it from constantly being exposed to air.:twocents:

Re "waterproof" - Baits aren't constantly immersed in water, they just swim occasionally:). Very few coatings are designed to be constantly immersed. I take Sherwin Williams' point but I'm not sure they understand the environment that crankbaits live in. I'd really like to hear about long term results of water based coatings from Husky and anyone who's tried it on a number of baits fished over a season.

Re "waterproof" - Baits aren't constantly immersed in water, they just swim occasionally:). Very few coatings are designed to be constantly immersed. I take Sherwin Williams' point but I'm not sure they understand the environment that crankbaits live in. I'd really like to hear about long term results of water based coatings from Husky and anyone who's tried it on a number of baits fished over a season.

I've been using a specific WB urethane for a year now. I'm not saying it's as good or better than the 2 part stuff, but it's results more than satisfy my needs and the ease of application makes using it a no brainer for the "Hammer Mechanic" in me. Dip and done!

2 hr recoat time with coverage similar to Etex. Dries clear and glossy. $20 per qt.

One master builder, finisher here, who I sent some for evaluation wrote " the top coat is nice, took me 5 coats, and 1 week to get it where I like it, but a week is a long time "

JM:twocents:

Thanks for the reply. I did buy some today and it was cheaper than I thought @ $58.00 a gallon. I'll be giving it a try soon over createx and I will post a follow up on it. By the way, Sherwin Williams Rexthane(@85.00) seems to be very similar to dick nites product. If this doesn't work out I will propably give it a try although it seems that the shelf life is questionable and you really have to watch how you handle it as with any moisture cured solvent based urethane. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated from anyone!!!!!!!!!Also , I am interested in Sherwin Williams products only because I have a freind that works for them and I get his discount. Well, we'll see. Take care all.:yay:

I called s/w about a year ago looking for their best coating for saltwater baits, the tech told me before I got to far that rexthane was the best they had for baits..so off I went to my local store, well! as it turned out the mass voc laws will no longer let it in to the state to be sold here..they had a gal. of white in the back room, but no clear..shelf life is only a year on it and the price on it was 91.00, with contractors discount...they do have a marine clear that I need to look into, but again it'll chew up close to a 100.00 a gal...have to think hard about that one..

Well my results with this product are as follows: I dipped the lure and let dry @ 90degrees for 8hrs. Re-dipped, dried another 8hrs. Let the lure set 36hrs@ room temperature. The finish dryed with no bubbles and was fairly coated, crystal clear. Hardness? You could press a thump nail into it and leave a mark, didn't even back out. I then submerged the lure in regular tap water for 10 hrs room temperature. The finish had softened some but not terribly. What do I think of this finish? Not suitable for those who invest time into producing a quality paint job or for those who sell to customers. I wouldn't trust it. However, if you are doing you're own work and fish them , It may be ok for you. I for one am too picky and I want my paint job to last as long as possible whether I fish them or sell them. My wife seems to find out about my little experiments somehow and has informed me that the finish would be great on our trim in the living room,,,,,,,hmmmmmmmmm. Oh well, I tried even though some had warned me, I told ya so's may be warranted. Next project, Uv medium pressure mercury lamp. Look out! Have fun guys.