5BITES

suspending problems

I bought some stickbaits from janns. The first bait I fished myself sank like a rock. I was wondering if you could drill the bait and put some expanding foam in the body. I know it will kill some of the rattle but the bait is useless to me if it doesn't suspend.

If you fill the air space with something heavier than air, it will only sink faster. I think you'll have to look elsewhere. Either try smaller trebles and split rings or possibly strip the finish and go for a thinner, lighter finish. Alternatively, you can possibly drill a hole in the bait and remove some of the ballast if you can remember where the ballast chambers are.

Here is a link to an identical thread from a few weeks ago.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/16133-bouyancy-after-paint-top-coat.html

Bob has basically covered your options, but one tip that came out of the above thread was post No9, he held the bait upto a strong light and was able to locate the ballast! Nice one Macsmallie.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
forgot to credit Mac

If its the springer 100 then ive worked with that bait before, they are heavy without hardware. You'll have to remove some keel weight to increase bouyancy, Like in the earlyer post drill the keel and install dowls, The keel in that bait is right in front of the front hook hanger, its about 1/2" long. by removing 4 1/8" holes the bait will float more horizontal. Then i use lead wire on front hook to make suspend.. good luck!!!