Delw

Painting questions

Ive followed alot of you pro painters over the years on here and on tacklemaking. a year and a half ago I bought a good airbrush, used it a few times on spoons and it did a good job. I was using enamel paints.

Now I want to try crank baits. I bought a few off of the site.

What type of paint do I use waterbased or enamel?

Delw

Tom,

Assuming you have a Paasche vl airbrush and are using waterbased acrylics, this is what I do to clear a plugged tip on the fly.

The tip of your air brush has a glob stuck in the needle assembly and is forcing air back up into the cup. It's called backflushing.

To fix it, take the paint cup off and rinse the paint from the airbrush. Then unscrew the handel to get to the needle adjusting screw. Loosen the screw and gentley pull the needle back about 1/2 inch. Then load a jar of water and flush clear water thru it. While your flushing water thru it slide the needle gently back and forth while rotating it to loosen and more clogged debris. Don't pull the needle too far back. While your shooting look for paint clogs as they come out of the airbrush. When you have them cleared release the trigger and slide the needle back to it's forward position. tighten the screw.

Shoot water thru it and check the flow. Then do a quick forced backflush of water thru it. To force a backflush simpley pinch your thumb and index finger over the needle in the tip to create an air tight seal. pull down and back on the rigger to force air back thru the airbrush. You should see bubbles in the jar. Watch to see if there is more debris being flushed into the jar.

Again shoot water thru it and check to see if it's cleared. Then reload the paint cup and continue.

I leave the handel off my airbrush. Got used to shootin without it.

Shawn