Bigeasy08

Best unpainted crankbaits??

I know I have seen a million posts asking where you can buy just blank crankbaits that haven't been painted, but I want to know which ones are the best quality and that I know will run straight and not have issues with. I've heard several different companies, but I want to know what will last so that my customers/me will be satisfied. Thanks a lot!

Mark

I just ordered 15 unpainted DD 3/8 oz from Barlow's. They are very similar to Norman's but the action is a hair different, better in my opinion. They aren't Luck Craft's, won't last forever, but they catch fish.

Quick story, several years ago my buddies dad was using a lure that was a local brand. He was winning money with them and bought up all that he could get his hands on in his favorite color. The lure company went out of business, and he couldn't get his favorite color any more. Last week my buddy gave me a couple of those old lures to paint. I began looking online and found the 3/8oz DD from Barlow's was the exact same as that old lure. I guess the local guy was just buying blanks and painting them for sale.

I ordered some from predator bass baits and was very impressed with the quality of the blanks. I have not had a chance to run them but they look like the would run just fine. The seams were even sanded which I was surprised with. I also have purchased some from lure making that I had to glue up myself. The quality of the those are a little less and depend on how well you glue and align the two halves yourself, and you spend time sanding and filing the seams to get a better looking bait.

I haven't had much luck with any of the blanks I have bought and am extremely leary of buying more. I haven't tried them all. Here are my experiences.

Sammy Knock Off - leaks into back and ball bearings rust (doesn't look good on a clear bait!). On the flip side they still catch fish, but I certainly couldn't sell these.

Pointer Knock Off - Sinks after paint and clear coat (fixable with light split rings and small (#6) hooks)

Lipless crankbait - floats (that was a good one). Runs pretty good and I'm still playing with this one. May catch some fish, but wasn't what I wanted.

Xrap knock off - ball bearings roll to back and lure sinks tail down. Complete junk. After pinning the ball bearings forward with a piece of wire through the bait and sealing I have caught a few fish on these.

Griffon knock off - fill with water. Seams not sealed. Some are OK.

Bluegill looking bait - runs good and have played with both the large and small sizes. Seems to be a decent bait but I haven't fished it enough to know if it catches them.

My experience with these knock offs has been buyer beware. Quality control and design leave a lot to be desired. I don't know of many Chinese bass fisherman and it shows. Buy a few to try before spending big bucks.

Edited by Mags

springer 78 jerkbait pointer knockoffs seem ok so far (jannsnetcraft). they aren't lucky crafts! so keep that in mind. You do have to tune them (which im sure all the lure guys on this site are capable of). You do have to add suspend dots (which isn't much different that tuning a rouge). once you get the right boyancy and left/right tuning, the bait casts and runs just like a lucky craft. they do have a loud rattle (unlike lucky craft which hardly rattles). plus, you have the benefit of actually having a real clear coat if you paint them!

One thing to note......

Most manufacturers sell unpainted blanks as 2nds in other words they didnt pass inspection and were pulled before factory paint.

Ask your retailers and distributors for 1st quality blanks and they will start requesting the same from thier manufacturers & distributors.

I think we've all seen our share of blanks with debris in em, sloppy glue-ups, yellowed plastic, wrong weights, etc. but there are good blanks to be had, you just need to ask for them, or you will usually get the rejects.

I just did my second order from Predator Bass Baits, IMO

these are the best blanks Ive used, Like stated below they are

not luckycrafts, you have to tune them and sometimes add or

subtract weight to get the action your looking for. I use my aquarium to test before paint and finish, so there are no surprises down the road. Hey Predator looking forward to new bodies, keep them comin.

Predator, I haven't bought my Griffon bodies from you. It was from another supplier who will remain nameless. I just bought some eyes from you and they are great. I clear coat my baits with a very thin clear coat that I spray on. It isn't thick enough to fill cracks at seams or around hook hangers. The cracks aren't even evident, unless you look very closely. Once you prime the baits white they are very easy to see. On some of the baits that I have added very little paint to, to get a clear bait effect, I never saw any cracks. It wasn't until I fished them that water, or condensation, showed up in the bait. Then the ball bearings start to rust, as they must not be stainless. If I get time I'll try to post some photos. It is just frustrating to buy blanks to save a few bucks, put the time into a great paint job, clear coat, hooks etc. and then have the thing either not run right, sink right out of the box or fill with water. I am not trying to slam anyone, just hoping to give folks a little friendly advice based on my experience.

Edited by Mags

Keep in mind, in any type of manufacturing some bad ones slip thru the cracks. I stand behind all my products. If I sell someone buys a few unpainted cranks and they call me a week later to tell me they have a bad one I just mail them a new one! I have many customers that frequent this site that can confirm it. I have a few suggestions for anyone buying unpainted crankbaits:

1) Submerg your unpainted crankbait in very hot water. Look closly for bubbles, they indicate a hole where the air inside the bait is leaking from. Remove the bait, dry and put a drop of super glue on the hole. As the plastic cools the air inside contracts wich will pull the glue farther into the hole sealing it off.

2) Holding the lure with a pair of pliers quickly dip the bait in acetone and remove. This does a few things. seals any small holes left from glueing and preps the plastic for painting.

I hope this helps a few people. Good luck! MAV

Predator,

I purchased a few of your pointer 100 lures and the tail section is the only area that floats without hooks or paint.when I throw in a LC pointer 100 in the same water without hooks it is more buoyant. I have been happy that none of them leak. Could I add a bit of weight to the tail to get it to float the same way the LC does? I'm just afraid that with paint and hardware it will sink. That's ok if it starts to suspend at around 4-7 feet though. Thanks for the help.