CA Delta

Createx pearlescent paint

One of my PVC trim board baits had chips in the paint. I was able to remove the paint with a putty knife. It came off like the shell being removed from a hard boiled egg. I originally primered the bait with Krylon indoor/outdoor & then sprayed white pearl for the scales. The paint was heat set with a hair dryer.

I noticed, after removing the eggshell's, the pearl was untouched. Should I have wet or dry sanded after painting the pearl? The bait did have way to many layers of paint on it. I'm stumped & need some help for the next batch of baits, that is ready for paint.

Thanks, Tim

Well if it peeled off the PVC, I would say the problem is the primer layer versus the Createx. If the Createx peeled off the primer then they must not be very compatible, and you need to find a more appropriate primer. I haven't worked with the PVC board, but for baits I am repainting that are 'chromed', or other very shiny baits like LC American Shad I have used a couple of different primers after scuffing the bait. You might want to try Bulldog.

Sit tight and I would venture to say someone that has worked with PVC board will chime in. Also what was the clear coat? It might be due to chips that water simply got under the clear coat.

so...........you say the pearl was untouched? You mean it stuck to the clear and the Krylon was left on the bait? Or that the pearl basecoat was left on the bait and everything over that came up?

With the Krylon primer and Createx, there's really no compatability issues. The Createx won't stick to a primer any better than it'll stick to the plastic itself, there's just no chemical bonding there. Sanding would have added some mechanical adhesion, but it's a water based paint and it won't chemically bond to anything. Your durability and strength come from your heat setting and topcoat.

clamboni, the pearl basecoat adheared to the primer coat just fine & like you mentioned, all of the paint layers after that are the ones that pealed off. I will try some sanding on the pearl next time.

76 gator, the clearcoat was D2T & I do remember that the bait was chipped & water did get under the layers of paint. I'm just wondering why it chose to seperate at the layer between the pearl & the rest of the coats of paint. I'm still very green, when it comes to painting.

Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help, Tim

Different colors fo the same paint can have different properties. The Pearls are pretty tough once they're set......as far as Createx goes anyway. The devcon just stuck to the other colors better than it stuck to the pearl.sanding may help, but you might not get the same look out of the pearl. Never sanded it then topcoat so I don't know. I never really had any issues with the devcon sticking to it.