JBlaze

Half n' Half

Got this idea from some of the recent threads on TU. It seems to work well in the tub. With a slow retrieve or twitch, only the tail ripples with very little body movement. With a faster pull, it feels like a rattle trap. It is a very slow sinker, havn't tried it yet but I think a smaller grub might turn it into a suspending version. It took 6.1grams of belly ballast to make it slowly sink.

John

Half N Half pictures by JBlaze1952 - Photobucket

@ JBlaze

Nice idea about a lipped bait with an attached grub tail !

I have been playing with it on my mind as well long time ago , but never thought , that it might work , since in my opinion the grub would act like a parachute and would kill all of the wiggling action .

Well , John , you've proven me wrong , sucha lure definately works , well done !

Of course a smaller grub would add buoancy to the lure , but in my point of view it would also increase the wiggle , since it won't generate as much drag to the lure anymore .

Thanks for sharing !

greetz:yay: , diemai

There are several cranks in the musky class that have a grub tail like drifters superstalker,mania squirrley jakes, big forks reef digger, and drifter super believers are just a few. All these hybrid style baits are the in thing the last few years for musky baits. Seems like the phrase dont forget your rubbers takes on a whole new meaning :lolhuh:

Edited by jamie
edit

Thanks for the compliments. I been wanting to try this for a while also.

V-Man, I did not cast the tail I cut the tail off of a Kalin grub and screwed it on to a stainless coil. I did not realize that the vibrations are present with the dampened action. Glad to know that the sonics are still there. Seems that I learn something new every time I sign on to this website. Thanks. John

Took the Half n' Half to Watts Bar yesterday to try and catch a bass on it. It tracked and swam like a champ :yay: and I was just sure that I was going to get a big smallie on it. But on the fifth cast, I hung it up in the rocks. I jerked it a couple of times and it popped loose but it felt different. It was, the bib was shattered and broken off. :cry:

I wanted a very thin clear bib and I read somewhere that CD disc,s were made of pure polycarbonate crystals so I reasoned that this woud be very strong and make a perfect thin bib. Boy was I wrong. :o

This bib was coffin style, 7/8 in wide, almost 1

I use 1/16" polycarbonate and it never breaks no matter how you abuse it. I don't think CD covers are made from polycarbonate. It's nice to see so many "hybrid" baits being built. Never used to see cranks with lips and props, or lips and soft plastic tails, jigs with lips, etc. Now even the Japanese are coming out with models. Nice looking bait, JBlaze!

Lurehead03 and BobP, I will order some .062 poly.

BobP, it wasn't the cover I was using, it was the CD itself. I cut it with scissors and flexed it while using my thumbnail to scrape off the aluminum coating and it was crystal clear. I figured as much as I flexed it that it would hold up pretty well as A bib but I guess flexing and bending is not the same as yanking it free from a rock. Thanks for the advice.

John

Hey John,

Had to check out the recent advancements in lure technology when Turtle filled me in this weekend.

Just let me know where to place the orders!!

I will be glad to test anything out in the Old Hickory and Kentucky Lake areas with my father-in-law.

Thanks,

Little Turtle

P.S. The the crankbait looks great!!

Thanks Nathan, look this site over well. there is much to be learned here. There are both proffessional and ametuer lure builders on this site and all are free sharing and willing to help others learn about building lures and solving their problems with them. Take a look in the gallery and you will find many beautiful hand made and custom painted lures that are unmatched by any assembly line from any factory. I must warn you that just looking at these will give you the urge to try your hand at it and it is a very addictive hobby.

I enjoyed seeing your mom and dad the other day, it has been a long time.

John

Update on the half N' half, cut the old bib out and installed one made from circuit board. Took it to the lake yesterday and it did just fine it swam well. I hung it up several times without busting up the bill. I had one very hard hit on it but it didn't get the hook in its mouth. I'd like to think it was a big smallie but I guess I'll never know. I think it needs two hooks, I have an idea for getting two hooks on the half n' half. I will post a pic of it when I get er done.

Thanks for all the input. John