BassNator 1

Lure Holders for Painting?

Ok, Here is another question. What are some of you guys using to hold the lure while you paint it. I have been using a screw eye in the rear end of the lure. It isnt screwed in all the way and I am holding this by hand and of course it does become a little difficult to keep the paint off of my hand. Of course when Im done with the screw eye I use a new one WITH NO PAINT ON IT! Anyway, I had Jimmy Rigged a coat hanger to hold the lure but of course that doesnt work too well either, it keeps flopping around. So Im stumped, I would hate to buy a Fly Tyer just to hold a lure to paint it.... BUT if I could make one with a GOOD IDEA... that would be a plus.

Im psyched I got my rotisserie motor for my dryer in the mail yesterday and Im gonna be working on that this weekend! Thanks to some of you guys with the pics of your dryers shown here on the site You got me going with ideas to get me started! Thanks Cody

I don?t know the specific word for the tool I am using, but I think it is called welding plier. It is a small (there are really big ones too of course) plier wich locks it?s grip real hard when tightened. Hmm, it looks like this:

plier.jpg

I have four of them, really useful when applying paint, laquer etc...

Regards, Jann

RiverMann and Hughesy do the easiest thing I've found. Go to wal-mart and go to the fishing section and buy a couple pairs of the needlenose forceps they sell. Hold the bait from the back linetie like you described, but make sure the pliers have a good grip on the screweye before you get started, especially before you begin clearcoating. You can easily clean off paint and hardened epoxy with a blade.

Forceps, are handy.Flea markets,their is always someboby selling them. I think I got a dozen for $ 10 bucks. I like the ones that have the curved points about 6 in. long. They work good for soldering flutter spoons or ice jigs. On my dryer I use a pool noodle,cut every few inches.I keep my lures on the forceps and slip it on the noodle while it rotates. That only for lure i want to rotate vertically, but you can hold them with the forceps for painting and clearcoats

All the items that were mentioned, I used. However, I now use the following:

Get a few dowels, about the same diameter of a lead pencil. Cut them in 6" to 8" pieces.

Now get a small finishing nail and tap it into the end of the dowel. Be careful not to split the dowel, so tap it lightly.

Next, grind a point on the nail on a bench grinder. Be careful not to touch the end of the nail, you can get burned. The nail will get pretty hot.

Stick the end of the nail in cold water for a couple of seconds to cool.

Now you are ready to use your new lure holder.

So I guess my question though is a little off and unclear bit. A Fly Tyer is USUALLY attached to the table by a clamp and it has an arm that will attach to the fly or lure somehow. You can easily spin that around a little to get different angles of your lure or fly... Im guessing. Ive seen it done but never used one.

Is everybody just HOLDING their lure by hand with something (It sounds as if thats the majority on this posting though) or do you have some sort of setup to have it attached to a clamp that attaches to your workbench or easel or however you paint your lure. I guess MY IDEA that Im thinking is that I want a mechanism that attatches to my Art Table with a clamp that has an arm and can hold the lure and BE MOVEABLE A LITTLE Bit. But I need something that really will hold the lure for me and kind of be hands free to hold. After Im done painting with my airbrush for instance with a specific color, I got to run upstairs, clean out my airbrush and flush it out and get it ready for the next color. It would be great to have it attached and leave it their for the few minutes I got to run upstairs and clean the brush.... I hope I explained it well.

Thats the idea Im kind of looking for. ANy body got suggestions or ideas on that? Let me know. Cody

Cody I ran into the same problem thats why I went to the vise I can spin the bait, angle it up and down, and it clamps to the table, they run from 10.00-to well over 100.00 depending how fancy you want to get.Checked my barlows catalog(www.barlowstackle.com) and the cheapest vise they had was 7.95(#720137) but I would look into Cabelas also I think the last one I bought was 19.95

Vmaxx

I use the foreceps(roach clips). If you visit any sport shows, the guys selling the powder coating for jig heads usually have them for sale. The ones at medical supply stores are too expensive! I like the round ones . If you go to a Menards or Lowes-they sell a small vise that can be positioned at different angles, just the ticket for painting. Sell for around 15.00. With the round foreceps, you can move the bait to any position for paint.

Hi Guys, On the topic of lure holders, I use 3/8 wood dowls cut about 6" long. Some of my dowls have a finishing nail inserted to one end and set in place with epoxy on others, I use a small dia. screw. These holders work fine for me. I also have six peices of 2x8 lumber 12" long. Drill 3/8 dia. holes every 3" down the length of the board and two holes on the width. If you start drilling your holes 1 1/2" from the end, you can fit 12 lures to a board. After drilling the holes, use a counter sink to dress and widen the top of the hole. This will make it easier to insert the dowl into the holder. I also have a small box type jig that I made to help hold the baits while painting. It is hinged and has netting held in place with push pins for painting scales. It can also be used to hold baits while using a template to paint detail. I have a couple of pics that will show what I am trying to say, I have not been able to post pics, as the computers at the office wont allow. If anyone would like to see the pics I'll be happy to e mail them to you and if you wanted to post them for others to see, that is ok. Joe

If your lures already have the lips in place, take a scrap piece of 2x4 about 6 inches long, take a clothes pin and super glue it to the piece of 2x4, then lay it on your work bench so that the clothes pin faces up in the air. This will hold your bait in place on your work bench, and you can also turn the bait around as your painting the top, sides, bottom, etc. Or if your painting wooden baits, I would go with Chips idea, still use the piece of 2x4 bit instead of the clothe pin, use a square dowel and insert your nail in one end, glue it to the 2x4, facing up, and then sit your wooden bait on top of the nail as Chip described in his earlier post.

Fishman

I prefer using a fly vise. It allows you to cinch the lure tightly so it doesnt fall by accident, you can rotate it to any angle, you can let the lure sit and dry while you attend to the airbrush, stencil, paint or whatever. I'll hold one with pliers to epoxy it, but a vise sure does free your hands for better craftsmanship and eliminates dropping a freshly painted bait. Think my vise was about $30 about a decade ago. Well worth the money spent.

Kellure