walleye4

bucktail ?

If you are using Rit, I can't help you, but if you are using acid dye, that's what I use.

Not sure what you a calling a "ton" of fresh tails, but Jaquard acid dye is probably the most affordable, with a lot of color choices. Even with this dye, your looking a a high cost for the Chart. greens and some other colors. I use 2 of their colors, but go with another company for most.

Jacquard Acid Dyes produce the most vibrant colors possible on protein fibers and nylon

If just talking about doing a few dozen tails in several colors, go with the rit. I don't think the colors are as bright, but much better on the wallet!

Just remember what ever method you use, do not put tails into boiling water, it makes a nice hair soup!

I'm sure you can find all of the information you need on the internet but if you want it in book form I recommend A.K. Best's book "Dyeing and Bleaching Natural Fly-Tying Materials". It covers bucktails & most natural materials used in fly tying in great length. I've dyed many bucktails & the only color that I can't stand to dye is black, for some reason I just can't get it jet black.

Tony P

the only color that I can't stand to dye is black, for some reason I just can't get it jet black.

Tony P

Seems like a common issue for many that do their own dyeing. I've had mine black that it works good enough. I don't think fish are as picky as we put them up to be.

Seems like a common issue for many that do their own dyeing. I've had mine black that it works good enough. I don't think fish are as picky as we put them up to be.

I agree 100%! I guess I'm just a little anal when it comes to the materials & colors I use :eek:.

Tony P

I was on crappie.com in the jig tying section and saw a link for dyeing buck tails useing coolaid it tells you the whole process.

I know I'm a little late in jumping in on this thread but I haven't been on here in a while. I have been dyeing tails for a couple of years now. If your are still looking for direction I can help you. I do standard colors aswell as a couple of custom ones but what I can say is that acid dies are the way to go. And contrary to what you may think they are more cost effective when you buy in larger quantities. I might also be willing to trade some dyed tails for whites depending on what you want let me know.