r1fpgb

Easy way to cut lead bar

Since clean lead is so hard to come by now adays and friend gave me a 3"x4"x 20" long bar of lead. Now the problem is how to get small enought chucks for my melting pot. I'd spend more money on propane trying to melt it than it's worth. Does anyone know of an easy way to cut this bar down to a more managable size?

Take the hatchet , place its cutting edge on the lead bar(on the floor) at desired location and hit the blunt side of hatchet with a sledgehammer a couple of times , it separates easier cutting halfway from either side(if you dare , let someone else take the hammer........or the hatchet ??:huh::lol:) .

good luck , diemai

I ended up using a 6pt sawsall blade cutting the bar 1/2 way thru then used a ax and hammer to break it apart. Thanks for all the suggestions.

PS Using WD40 while cutting with sawsall helps alot.:yeah:

Looks like you read and followed my advice in the link Dave provided. Yes, WD40 makes a huge difference. Glad everything worked!

I have this feeling that I'm stating the obvious. But Make sure you wear a Air Purifying mask when you cut it, breathing in tiny lead particles is something I know I don't wanna mess with :blink:

Also,

Does anyone know if the Lead weights off of a Castnet is PURE lead or is It mixed in with other metals That usually aren't put into molding leads?

Edited by StrykerLures