gadawgs

next step in painting?

I was reading the resurected thread by rookie below and it got me thinking. I have been practicing painting and I know that is the only way I will get better, but it seems like I have come to a halt in my "quest" to paint better. I'm using paint brushes and acrylic paints, I've tried foiling baits and and layering paints but nothing seems to help and I'm getting frustrated. I know this seems vague so If this post is ignored thats fine, but I would really aprecciate any advice or encouragement.

Like with most things, progress is very quick at the start and then it slows, to a point were you think you are making no progress.

You can monitor your progress by setting aside say every tenth bait for reference.

Maybe it is time to start experimenting with rattle cans, netting and stensils. You gotta keep it interesting.

Hand painting lures is the hardest method of all, if you master that, then you are indeed a true artist.

Dave

My airbrush progress has always come in spurts instead of steady improvement. The spurts happen when I try a new effect or a new piece of equipment and struggle to overcome my limitations. There's a knack to any painting technique that only comes through trial and error. You reach a plateau, stay on it a while, then struggle up to the next plateau. There are some paint effects, like layering thin coats of different colors, or shading from one color to another that are only easy to obtain with an airbrush. I've also found that using stencils has greatly improved my results, and they can be used with any paint technique.

I was reading the resurected thread by rookie below and it got me thinking. I have been practicing painting and I know that is the only way I will get better, but it seems like I have come to a halt in my "quest" to paint better. I'm using paint brushes and acrylic paints, I've tried foiling baits and and layering paints but nothing seems to help and I'm getting frustrated. I know this seems vague so If this post is ignored thats fine, but I would really aprecciate any advice or encouragement.

I know how you feel I kept 3 baits I painted with a brush about 2 years ago, then I switched to rattle cans did some OK paint jobs but it just did not look the way I wonted so now I have went into air brushing head first I look at what some of the guys and girls :lol: do and think how in the world can they do such fine paint jobs, why don't mine look like that then I remind myself that I have just begun with a airbrush and I hope it will come with time and a lot of mess ups. what I can tell you is keep advancing in tools and put the time in and it will come I hope :) .

Keith

Edited by keith combs
spelling

I use an airbrush and let me tell you I have been thankful for waterbase paint. I have made several trips to the sink and washed many paint jobs off and had to start over again. It is all trial and error. A lot of error but when you get it right, you will look at at and say "yep, that's a good one".

I am still learning and so far I have used only waterbase paint. Someday I want to try laquer but don't know if the colors are available as in waterbase.