CA Delta

PVC trim board - "Shad Swimbait"

Just wanted to give something back & to say thanks to all.

PVC-BOARD__SHAD_SWIMBAIT__TUTORIAL-Tackle_Underground.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ CA Delta

Just briefly browsed through your tut , mainly only viewing the pics so far !

It's a big piece of work , that you have achieved just to aid fellow tinkerers here on TU , and it earns greatest credit and respect .

Thanks a lot for it , it might come in handy for me too , since I am planning on my first PVC bait as well .

greetz :yay:, diemai

Thanks for checking on that Dave. I was having problems viewing it the other day. I thought the video might be useful to see the actual swimming action on the bait that they are working on. I always love to see the swim video's of baits that we talk about so much here on TU, it always seems to answer a lot of my questions. Thanks again.

Tim

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind words. You guys are the ones that taught me everthing in the first place, so the thanks is sent out to you all, as well.

Gary, I was questionable about the hinges myself, so I beat on one with a hammer for quite awhile with no breakage, just some dents. Then I did a pull test with a three segment striper bait & it held up nice. I'm sure if I cast it onto the rip rap to many times, it will eventually break. I am always on the lookout for new, stronger hinges & got some new fiberglass infused nylon ones in the other day. They seem to be extremley strong & durable, but only time will tell.

Tim

I also bought similar hinges the other day ! These are from a model shop and are supposed to hinge the rudders and flaps of radio controlled model aircraft .

But obviously a failed investment , since they don't move freely , as their pins are stuck too firmly into their bores . Maybe of advantage for their original purpose , but not for jointed lures .

They are said to be made of Nylon , tried to pull one apart , but it held up , only the material around the bores turned milky white under the tension , such happens to some plastics prior to breakage , only question , how much more tension it takes ?

They also had metal flap hinges in that shop , but I did a magnet test to them , they were made of brass plated iron , so not suitable !

If there would be some available in stainless quality............:huh:;)?!

I am gonna build some at home of stainless sheet 0,5 mm and 1,5 welding wire or 2,0 mm brass tubing as a pin , won't be that difficult(but time-consuming) to do , I suppose ?

PS : picture shows sucha hinge together with some magnetic sheet , that I bought in the same shop , made the picture to show a friend .

greetz :yay:, diemai

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

4289_thumb.attach

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all the kind words, it's very refreshing. I am thinking about doing another tut on the screw eye hinge pin designs seen on the second to the last photo of the tutorial. Plus I just recieved some new hinges that are even stonger than the acrylic ones, which will turn into another tut. The good news is that the first eleven steps will always stay the same.

My daughters fastpitch travel ball season starts tomorrow & the bass are starting to wake up in the Delta. I also have thirteen swimbaits to paint, so it might be a while (we should have eight days in the week). I will try to get the tut up as soon as I can. Thanks again & take care.

Tim - CA Delta

Tim, ca delta

i was wondering about that pvc trim board.... You got it at home depot right......do you possibly have the sku number because ive been trying to find it at hd and lowes. they dont carry anything like that picture or even know wtf a pvc trim tuf board by veranda is. I cant order offline because i dont want 1000 pieces. i talked to the guy at my home depot in so cal and he said if he has a sku number he can get it. i would really appreciate as much info as possible.

thanks

D

I to had a hard time finding it & the people that worked there had no idea. At the H.D. here where I live, the PVC Tuff Board is located in with the pine 1"x4" stock. Here is pic. Hope that helps.

Would it work with poplar or is it better suited for Tuff board?Also have you found any hinges that are stronger and are there any that would fit for smaller baits?

Edited by BigBaitkid

I too have had a hard time locating any Tuf Board at Home Depot. One employee seemed to remember it, but when he tried to find it, he couldn't. He then looked it up on his computer, and seemed to think that they no longer will stock it or that Veranda (maker) no longer supplies it. I came back a different day, and once again talking to the service people, could not find any or anybody knowing what the deal is.

Would it work with poplar or is it better suited for Tuff board?Also have you found any hinges that are stronger and are there any that would fit for smaller baits?

I too have had a hard time locating any Tuf Board at Home Depot. One employee seemed to remember it, but when he tried to find it, he couldn't. He then looked it up on his computer, and seemed to think that they no longer will stock it or that Veranda (maker) no longer supplies it. I came back a different day, and once again talking to the service people, could not find any or anybody knowing what the deal is.

I can't find PVC board anywhere here in NYC. I was wondering if the PVC could be replaced with wood. Will the bond between the hinges and wood hold? Look forward to the hinge swimbait tutorial. These are exactly what I would eventually like to learn to build. Great tut. TY for your time and effort and sharing your knlowedge.

I can't find PVC board anywhere here in NYC. I was wondering if the PVC could be replaced with wood. Will the bond between the hinges and wood hold? Look forward to the hinge swimbait tutorial. These are exactly what I would eventually like to learn to build. Great tut. TY for your time and effort and sharing your knlowedge.

I was finally able to find a Loew's that carried it. Ine side is smooth but the other side is textured. I worked a little with it and I like to material, so far. I just wish I could find it in thinner sheets.