uwfishmd

removing paint from crank baits

I'm doing this with some lipless cranks that were foiled. Half the foil is off, half isn't. I've had to spend the time peeling it off. It'd be nice to have a faster method. Sanding the paint might work, but there has to be a faster way. Hopefully someone will help us both out. :yay:

I've tried many methods and the only things that work for me are peeling and sanding. There's nothing out there that will chemically remove paint without damaging the plastic, clouding the lip, and making a giant mess in the meantime. You can also remove paint in a media blast booth but most of us don't have one. Instead of sanding all the finish off, you could fill in the chipped spots with filler or epoxy putty. It depends on the buoyancy of the bait, how much that will be changed, and whether it will affect the action of the bait significantly. One tip - if the crankbaits are wood, DO NOT sand down to raw wood. It is hard to fix a spot like that so it looks acceptable.

I am not worried about the wood baits but its is good to know and thanks for the info on the plastic. I have a few old plastic crank baits that I never use & they need a repaint anyway so I am looking for ways to take off the old paint. One has a thick chip so I guess i'll try filling it with epoxy putty and just clean and sand the other.:yay:

Plastic baits

1. Scuff the bait and just take the shine off.. dont remove all the paint..

use 400 grit sand paper and wash off the dust before you prime and paint.

2. you could fill the holes and blemishes with bondo glazing putty if you like..

Wooden baits.

you could sand it all off and recoat the bait with epoxy to seal the wood back up.. then scuff the epoxy up and prime

or you could just scuff it up and use the same bondo glazing putty trick. I have tried both methods and they work.

You can buy the bondo glazing putty at most Automotive supply stores.

Good luck

The Rookie

For wood baits the easiest way to remove the finish is to run a torch over them for few seconds. It will lift the finish of the bait and you end with bare wood. Sand lightly with 400 grit and start your painting process. For plastics just scuff the finish then prime and paint. If you really want to get to bare plastic a soda blaster is a very good option.