MarcDavidBaits

Line On Crankbait Sides Help

I know their is probably a simple answer to this question, but I can't figure out how to paint the line down the sides of a crankbait like in the picture below (On the Shore Minnow and Sexy Shad colors). When I go to paint it, there is too much overspray and I can't get a fine line. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Strike King Pro Model 4 5 & 6 Crankbaits#

Edited by Bass Whisperer

There are a number of ways to do this, perhaps the easiest of which is to create a stencil or several that have various width stripes you can use. You can create them in an arch, or straight line depending on the bait you are painting. Lay the stencil on the bait and just spray the stripe on, similar to what you might do for the kill spot.

The other way is to use painters tape and tape off a stripe, spray and remove the tape. Effectively the same as using a stencil but you will always have a very clean edge. Some like real clean lines some don't.

I prefer use of a stencil which allows you to create both clean lines or if held away from the bait some, you can create very nice blended lines.

Lastly, depending on the paint you are using, you can use the proper size tip as previously mentioned and simply spray the lines on which will allow you to have either a blended look or a fairly clean line, depending on paint and tip size.

I'd recommend use of a stencil or freehand with the right tip.

Dont rely on your finger so much but learn to use the airgun. This is for consistancy. With any luck you will probably be able to use the same finger but if you take the shakes or something then you are going to need to have a back-up plan. Try stencils and .1 tip at low pressure. Listen to what the guru's on this site tell you and you will come out ok.

It sounds to me like you are from south Ms. which aint so bad and I ought to know

Fire Chief :popcorn:

If you're going to try the low pressure route, be sure and thin you paint. Nothing is more frustrating than a clogged tip in the middle of a line. :pissed:

Practice on a blank piece of paper, and then start your line off the lure, and move onto it and across with one motion. Thinned paint may require multiple passes, like with the transparent yellow I use for the stripes on my sexy shad lures.

Edited by mark poulson

If you're going to try the low pressure route, be sure and thin you paint. Nothing is more frustrating than a clogged tip in the middle of a line. :pissed:

Practice on a blank piece of paper, and then start your line off the lure, and move onto it and across with one motion. Thinned paint may require multiple passes, like with the transparent yellow I use for the stripes on my sexy shad lures.

That was my problem. I lowered the psi, but failed to thin the paint. No wonder it was splattering everywhere.

i find a super easy way is on a dry bait, take 2 pieces of low tack masking tape, run one on top the length of the bait, then one below that paralell a hair. then you can air brush the area and pull the tape, or i have even taken a paint pen or a sharpey permanent marker and swiped a line. super easy and a really clean edge.

Sexy shad line: freehand your line using creatix flouro yellow and a drop of white, not too dark, just dark enough to see. Retrace your line using straight flouro yellow. Darken until for happy. The transparent flouro yellow will blend really nice over the yellow/white base. see new uploads for an example.

I didn't see anyone mention retarder. This will help a great deal with painting fine details. Sometimes its like painting with an entirely different brush.

I can't get the link up to see the particular lure, but if I want a really fine line I use a piece of cotton thread (not polyester). Dampen the thread, dip the end in your thinned colour and drag the cotton along the surface, it's a bit like a mini 'pin lining' brush, you can get very fine lines this way. We used to use this method (and others) to pinstripe surfboards in a past life.pete

Edited by hazmail