throttlejunkie

Component Systems Vinyl Paint ???

I bought a bunch of cs vinyl paint. It is so thick it's almost un-pourable. It kind of sticks together in a big clump. Is that normal? I thinned it from 20% to 60% and can't get it to spray correctly. Different tips, needles, and pressures - if I was spiderman I'd be in good shape. Is there some trick to this stuff or did I just waste a bunch of cash? How does the cs pre-thinned airbrush paint work? Anyone used it? Thanks....................:censored:

I have used their thinner several years ago. I think it is fine. Now I buy from a local paint dealer, it is a little cheaper. It is MIBK, Methyl Isobutyl Ketone. Nasty stuff. They have to order it special for me, they don't keep it in stock. I am hoping to switch over to water base vinyl paint. I'll have to do some test runs to see if it works for me. I have used Acetone and can't decide if I like it with the vinyl paint or not.

I could never get the stuff to work. I had a bunch of it back when I used a brush to handpaint lures so I tried to get it to work when I went to an airbrush. I will tell you one trick to thinning it. The microwave. I think I got this from their website. However, it will stink up your entire house. Also the stuff is expensive compared to Createx or other similar paints that are ready for the airbrush. One other problem is if you use the vinyl clear to finish you baits is that it reacts with soft plastics. So in conclusion I have about 50 dried up jars of vinyl paint. My suggestion is go with an airbrush paint.

I've been looking at createx airbrush paints. TCP Global sells a 30 or 32 color set with cleaner and a few other odds and ends for around $120. I got the cs to spray ok using the 1:1 ratio suggested. It is just frustrating because I already bought so much stuff...... and I showed a local bait shop some spoons I painted and he wants some. I think I have to get used to the cs for now.