JimD

Glitter Questions

You have me hooked after two weeks refinishing and making the color of lures that I want instead of what I can buy in Houston.

I will never have the time to do the beautiful work that I see here but I would rather be out trying out my new baits. :)

Few questions.

I sat down last night and figured out a really nice Florescent Ch color for some baits. I did a white base coat and it seems that the fl colors are fairly transparent but do great over the white base coat. Are most of the colors fairly transparent in the Ct paints.

How about adding glitter? I see a lot of posts on using the extra fine glitter but not much on the larger glitter. My local Walmart and Hobby Lobby seem to carry two different sizes of glitter. TOO Large and the micro fine glitter in a glue base. One is too small and the other way too big.

Where can you find the fine glitter at a local shop without ordering from a soft plastic company?

If I have to use the paint on glitter is there a problem with it sticking after application of the D2 clearcoat or is one type of paint on glitter better than another? Does the bottle squeeze out and paint on stick well?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by JimD

Hobby Lobby has fine glitter also. I got some there in 4 packs with 4 different colors in each pack. You can find glitter on sites that sell products for pouring soft plastic baits.

C-tex flo colors need several coats to cover completely. Make sure that you heat set each coat of paint.

You have me going to try another HL and Walmart.

Both of you have great looking baits on you px pages.

I fish saltwater a lot and use Spook jrs a lot of the time. Our stores here are limited on the Spooks that they carry.

Even with the little that I do I cannot wait to go see how my souped up baits do. I have added Ch and pink bellies, glitter, gills, mouths to baits plus cleaning up and Dc2 ing a lot of my chrome baits that donot last long before being chipped and pealed.

On our coast this time of year the ch top and bottom with silver sides, pink t and b with silver sides and bone t and b are good colors along with natural colors.

For plastics wade fishing the plumb with ch tail, black magic (black with silver and red glitter w/ ch tail, and pumpkinseed ch tail (brown with black specks and ch tail are top baits with the guides.

One of the other good plastics for wade fishing is Avocado - Ch belly with a black top and a little fine glitter in the mix probably 3 parts silver and 1 part red glitter to give a little flash and a red tail on the bait in a rat tail instead of a paddle tail.

I want to make a spook jr in the avocado colors.

I have the spook jr bait done except for the glitter and the eyes. I have the glow with black eye and the orange with black eye and not sure which is better and I cannot decided on the tail.

For my fishing buddy he wanted a red head on his with the regular eyes but on mine I think I want a red hair tail tied with a little flash in it instead of painting the tail end of the bait red. I did put a small red throat on my bait.

Any suggestions?

Applying glitter to a hard bait leaves two viable options to attain an excellent finish. Airbrush or paint brush?

1)Shooting glitter To get the most bang out of your glitter whether it is micro glitter, fine, or course you are best to shoot your glitter with a carrier such as a thinned clear. When glitter is sprinkled onto a tacky surface the glitter will not lay completly flat leaving voids that will not refect light.

2) Mixing with clear coat The other way is to mix the glitter into your first coat of clear then apply the mix with a paintbrush. Let the first coat w/ clear cure overnight then apply a second coat of clear to smooth out the finish

I brush on acrylic based glitter after I paint and before I clearcoat the bait. It comes very thick from the bottle so I thin it with water and dab it on. The advantage is control: I can put a lot or a little glitter where I want it, and keep it off areas where I don't. You can also use large glitter that would never shoot through an airbrush. It's very cheap stuff carried by every hobby/craft store and it comes in a wide variety of colors.

Most guys lay down a white color basecoat as the first step in painting any crankbait so wood grain or the old colors on a repaint won't show through. I use Polytranspar Superhide White - but any heavily pigmented white will do. If your airbrush tip is big enough to shoot thinned "hobby acrylics", Apple Barrel Flat White works well but leaves a rougher surface because its paint grains are not milled as small as in airbrush paints.

These are all great suggestions. Like Madbass, I now apply a coat of clear where I want the glitter, sprinkle glitter about 2 feet about the bait then coat several more times to seal it good. The problem with this method is control-I can almost get the same degree of glitter on each bait but not always.

But for large runs of baits, I will use thinned clear and spray it on with a large gun (used in auto painting). If I have 10 baits on a stick, I can hit all ten in one or two movements and be done.

If uniformity is key to you, then spray is probably the best method.

I tried glitter placement several different ways.

These easiest was the glitter mixed in the adhesive but I did not want that much ultrafine glitter.

I tried mixing it in the 2 ton.

Is it easier to sprinkle the glitter down on a clear coat of Createx and paint the glitter around if needed with only the 1/64 size glitter OR

DO hobby shops carry just the adhesive that comes in the bottle WITHOUT any glitter so you could mix your own?

What is the best way to use the 1/64 size glitter?

I just want some flash like you see in someof the plastic baits not the amount you get with the ultrafine.

I could see problems with the shaking, but it gave me an idea.

If a small dia tube was inserted through a hole in the lid. You could blow in the jar and obtain a good spread of the glitter, depending on how much you add. May only require the tip of a teaspoon handle to get the desired effect. When done, the unused glitter is contained in the jar, so no mess. It is a bit like the powder painting idea.

At the same time, the bait isn't rattling against the sides and glittering up the jar.

Do NOT suck!

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Still did not get by hobby lobby.

I still think the answer for bigger glitter is using the gel that the small glitter comes dispersed in. This glitter did well with the bigger mixed with the gel but I got too much little glitter for what I wanted to do and that was add a little flash similar to the bait that I wanted to copy Which is a plastic rat tail type of bait.

With this gel you could mix your own glitter and paint it on the bait where and how you wanted it. I am guessing it is an acrylic type of paste.

Jim

Here is a idea for getting fine glitter if you cant find any.Just buy a cheap coffee grinder,mr coffee makes a good one for 10 bucks.Put your glitter in there and give it a whirl ,whips it to a powder like consistency...it works I have done this myself and the glitter is very,very,fine like powder .

Anyone tried Gel blending medium? You mix it with the paint's for ceramcoat acrylic paints.

If this works the you can mix the glitter with a glob of this gel and paint it on to dry. Seems a better way with the larger glitter sizes.

Ideas? comments?

Another TU member, Nathan Bettencourt, suggested mixing the glitter with Minwax Polyacrylic, and then brushing it on.

I do that now, and it works great. It dries clear, takes epoxy fine, and really lets the glitter sparkle and shine.

Seafoam, I love the idea of the coffee grinder. Super fine glitter sounds great! Thanks for the tip!

I've spinkled glitter on a couple lures before I remembered an article by Mepps about the color of "silver" under water. After reading the article I doubted that the "silver" glitter would really flash under water so I gave up on the glitter.

This is an exerpt from the Mepps article:

Sometime while you're retrieving a silver plated Mepps, have a friend retrieve a nickel or chrome plated lure next to it. You'll notice the flash from the silver blade looks almost white. The "flash" from the chrome or nickel blade is a tarnished brown.

For what it's worth I sprinkled the glitter on first layer of D2T, heated with a hair dryer so it all laid pretty flat, let it cure and recoated later. It was pretty smooth and in the air it flashed as I expected it to. :twocents:

Dave

Think that I finally found a way to place glitter where I want it that works for me.

I picked up some of the clear paint then brushed it on the painted bait.

You can then sprinkle the glitter on or use the brush to move the glitter around. With the dab and paint you can really move the glitter around and add and delete, or place different color of glitter where you want it.

Best of all you can gently wash the glitter off and start over it needed which cannot be done using the D2 or clones.

After it drys placing the d2 did not seem to be any difference than placing d2 on a bait without glitter.

I recently ordered some ultra fine gold glitter from Janns Net Craft. It is not the soft plastic stuff but is for hard baits and jig heads. Planning on mixing it with clear lacquer and painting that on before the etex top coat for perch and carp pattern baits. I like this idea better than gold paint because it adds accent but doesn't over do it..