fishooks

vacuum former

Vacuum forming is another great method when using poly ethelene (milk cartons). A tutorial was produced a short time ago on this topic. If a left and right form is made of a bait out of whatever material you choose (steel putty, plaster etc), drill small holes symetrically and connect it to a shop vac. Lay your milk carton over the form, turn on the vacuum, and lighting wave a torch over the plastic until it turns clear. The vacuum will do the rest.

Hope that helps.

For some of you "old timers" you might remember a toy that Mattel made in the late 60's called a Vac-u-form. It used a hot plate, a small sheet of styrene plastic, and hand pumped vacuum system to form small parts. It was a great little machine and worked very well as I remember. You can still find them on E-Bay.

Mattel Vac U Form with nice assortment of molds - eBay (item 160321893674 end time Mar-22-09 13:26:36 PDT)

Gene

I have one that works like a charm-- I'll post some pics in a day

or 3.

Basically it is a homemade plywood/particle board box with an open bottom with a short hose connected and fitted to a hole in the top: on top of the hole and topside is a cookie sheet screwed on and sealed with hotmelt glue. The sheet has a uniformed pattern of holes drilled into it.

You simply stick your shop vac to the hose on the box, set your

form on top of cookie sheet with your plastic on top of the form,

set a turkey oven bag on top of that to help pull down the plastic

when you turn on the shop vac and use your heat gun to blast the

plastic with hot air.

We use 1/16-1/8" polyester sheet plastic to make painting stencils and plastic prototype lure tail blades that we are now testing in conjunction with out metal tail blades on our shad swimbait lures. You could also use it to form crankbait lips no sweat.

Polyester forms in a matter of seconds, polycarbonate is tricky to thermoform like this as it will bubble up and deform if you're not careful, I think it is sensitive to the right or wrong temperatures

and heating times.

TG Peterson

Edited by redg8r
Web URL Removed