bassinjody

yellowing crankbaits

i was just wonndering how everybody protects thier baits to keep them from turning yellow, theses baits were done in devcon i have read that it going to happen, just not this soon.do they make a storage box that has u v help or can u paint your lids to keep the u v rays out. hopefully since i have switched to etex this has stopped or at least slowed down .just wondering what everybody else does to protect thier baits. thanks jody

I think all topcoats yellow to some extent given enough time. The process is slower if you don't store them exposed to direct UV and high heat. I take my gear out of the boat for storage since heat and humidity don't mix well with rods, reels, line, or lures, including plastics. So far, minimal yellowing.

Ive been useing etex for years and havent seen any yellowing yet. I also do what vman said I keep my tackle out of the sun covered up and away from uv rays as much as I can.Every little bit helps. Biggest mistake is leaving your tackle in a clear stow away box out on the deck of the boat all day.

will a bait with etex over devcon still yellow the same as a pure devcon coat?

I switched to Nu Luster 55 with UV inhibitors to stop yellowing.

Even over D2T, it doesn't yellow.

But, if I use Krylon spray glitter before I topcoat, I do still get yellowing of the glittered areas. Weird.

Too bad. The spray glitter is really handy.

I'm thinking about spraying Krylon pastel fixative over the glitter, to see if that stops the yellowing, before I topcoat with the epoxy.

If it doesn't work, I'm going back to mixing the glitter in Minwax Polyacrylic (thanks Nathan) and brushing it on, for my lures.