MuskyAl

Devcon mishap

I just finished putting one of the many baits I am working on, but when I applied the devcon it dried with alot of rolls and "mounds in it.. Not like runs, but like it was hardenned too fast for me to apply it before it started to set. Should I have used something else. it is a tallywhacker type bait and is pretty large. I was hoping it would level out when I hung it, but it didn't. It is all over the whole bait, not just one end like it would be if you forgot to turn or spin the bait. Any suggestions for next time I use this stuff?

Are you sure you used the 2-Ton??

I used the 5 min by mistake once and had that problem.

Was it cold when you applied it??

Did you apply any heat after you put it on??

The bait and epoxy need to be room temp.

I have had problems when Devcon is applied cold.

Coley

Al,

It sounds like your working in a cold area. Devcon gets thicker when the temperature is cold. It wont want to laydown when you brush it on and will keep brush strokes in the surface.

To remedy work in a warmer area and keep a hair dryer handy. Use the hairdryer at a low setting and blow hot air on it to smooth any imperfections. Keep it moving as the hot air will thin the epoxy consistancy. When you have a smooth surface put it on your drying wheel.

Shawn

Yes, it was the 2 ton. and it was at room temp. it has been in the house here for a week or so. I was just wonderring if it was possible that I didn't sqeeze the seringe evenly and added too much hardener. would that make it set faster? I do have Envirotex lite here too. I have used that in the past and the problem I had was that it was extremely runny. Is it pssible to make it thicker by adding more hardener? Just a thought. the bait is still usable this time.. I don't expect a musky to care that it isn't smooth..lol

Thanks shawn. It sounds like you guys are on to something. I did notice that it was really keeping the brush strokes visible when I was putting it on. I did it right in my living room.. but it is in the sub-zero temps here right now and this place is kind of drafty. I will have to try the hair dryer idea next time. Thanks again!!! :D

I would sand off the clumps and then redo the finish with Devcon again. And at the risk of having Skeeter strangle me, I too would recommend using the hair dryer next time. I like the mix the Devcon in small Dixie Cups. Mix well, turn the cup and make sure all parts of the glue get mixed. If the stuff sets up too much run it under the HD for a second, stir again, and then paint it on. Once the Devcon is completely covering the bait run the HD over everything again, watch closely and when the bait looks like it's covered in water it's done. If you see bubbles coming to the surface you are going too far with the HD. I then usually turn the bait under a light to look for any missing spots that can be smoothed out with a brush. After that, put the bait on a dryer, if you don't have one you can manually turn the bait while watching tv for 15 minutes or so.

Good luck!

jed

Is the bait for you or some one else-if it's for yourself-throw it! The fish won't care. If this is a customers lure-strip it and re-do it. If you try to fix it it will probably get worse. Devcon 2 ton only has a working pot life of about 15 minutes at a cool room temperature-heating up the resin/hardener will make it set up even quicker. too much hardener will keep the mix from hardening, so that wasn't your problem. Try adding a small amount of M.E.K. -methyl ethyl keytone-this will slow it down a little, but it will also thin it down to a point where it will yellow or become very brittle. If you like the thick body of the devcon resin, use it, but try a different activator. Get some Flexcoat and substitute it's hardener for the Devcon hardener. If you break the plungers where they are joined you can cover the hardener tube and just press out the resin. I have done it, but it gets expensive that way.

Thanks guys. The bait is just for me, so I am not going to do anything with it. It doesn't look perfect, but I have never caught a musky that was holding a magnifying glass.. hee hee I think its one of those things where I care more than the fish will. I am starting to see why musky lures cast so much. Its not the parts, those are cheap. It is definitely the labor. Gotta admit, though... I kinda enjoy it. This is the first bait I have ever FINISHED. have alot I have started though.lol

If you are using part A and part B in seperate syringes it shouldn't be necessary to clean them after each use. You might label them so that a mix up won't occur. If using Devcon, just make sure you get the bubbles out at the top and then push evenly on the plunger so as to make sure the mix is close to equal.

Jed

Geeeeeez, My hands are already reaching for throats!!!!!!!!!!! Al... your problem is that the devcon was not turned long enough before you hung it to dry. You were close, that is why you had the rolls and not runs. I spin for about 20 min. or so at 75 deg. In the winter add at least 10 min. for every 5 deg. cooler. Artbrush had it. I'll deal with the rest of you hairdressers with hair dryers later.

Skeeter

Here we go again. Here is the best way to cure devcon that did not set up. Bookmark this subject for future reference.

If the devcon did not cure correctly go to your bookmarked page, (right here) and hold your bait up next to your screen. There will be more than enough heat from this subject to cure the bait. By the way, you might want to hand spin the bait so the devcon doesn't run. :P:lol:

Tally