hadesalmighty

cheapest brushes for top coat?

I use flux or gluebrushes for applying my top coats. they can be found for about $.20 each and wash easily in some acetone. I usually can get 4-6 uses from each brush.

to help apply your top coat hit it for a few seconds with a hair dryer or hot air gun. this will allow the epoxy to thin out enough to be brushed over the entire lure. just be carefull as too much heat could blister your paint and it willalso cause the epoxies to kick-off faster

I buy kid's paint brushes.. usually next to the coloring books at walmart or hobby lobby.. i get 144 brushes for 3.99.. I have no idea what that works out to per brush.. but I use them once and toss them. not worth the effort to clean the out. I also like the coloring books when I love to pass time with nothing else better to read in the bathroom.. :whistle:

The Rookie

I also use flux brushes, but I toss'em when finished. I'm guessing you have some sort of texture on the bait that doesn't allow devcon to fill in. You can brush over some of it, but sometimes no matter what ya do it just wont fill in. I used to get it all the time.

After heat setting the paint take some automotive clear in a rattle can and cover the bait lightly a few times. This will smooth out your surface and the devcon will fill in and look like glass. Also works wonders with etex.

thanks for the input guys. I've actually been getting the streaks on smooth crankbaits. I have no idea why some do it some don't. But my best paint job this far was ruined with a ton of bubbles across the belly in the clear.

I'm sure the brushes will rid the bubbles but would etex eliminate the streaks?

Curious which clear you use tater.

Well off to wally world for kid brushes.

Once you have painted, do not handle the body without gloves. Oils from your hands can cause problems.

Apply the top coat under a strong light, so that you can see what you are doing. It is easy to miss a bit.

Some members say to breathe on the bubbles, the carbon dioxide in your breath pops the bubbles, some use a hair dryer to warm the coat, this helps thin the coat, allowing the bubbles an easier escape. Some do both, by breathing into the back of the hair dryer.

Clean your brushes before you use. You probably tested the bristles with your hand and contaminated them. This would explain the streaks.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I use an artist brush. . After use, I wipe brush on paper towel, swish it around in a small cup of alcohol, then store it in a fresh cup of alcohol. I have used this same brush for over a year with no noticable wear. It is a super soft brush that keeps the epoxy smooth when applying.

The streaks are caused by you brushing the epoxy on to thin. Put a thick coat on then go back and brush off the excess. Hold your bait under a light and look for spots you have missed. You can also breath lightly on the bait to get rid of some of those little bubbles.

Devcon is the easiest top coat to use and the most forgiving. You can lightly scuff the bait with 400 grit sandpaper and re-coat.

I use the plastic craft brushes, cut in half so that you have a stir stick.

I buy the cheapo brushes at the hardware store for $.15 each. Here is a really good tip that I read here on T.U. (sorry I can't remember who posted it originally). Before using the cheapo brush take a pair of pliers and clamp down on the metal piece that connects the bristles to the brush. This will eliminate bristles coming off in your devcon and embedding into the top coat.

I buy kid's paint brushes.. usually next to the coloring books at walmart or hobby lobby.. i get 144 brushes for 3.99.. I have no idea what that works out to per brush.. but I use them once and toss them. not worth the effort to clean the out. I also like the coloring books when I love to pass time with nothing else better to read in the bathroom.. :whistle:

The Rookie

EXACTLY!! Best bargain in town......... Minus the coloring book part...... I have a hard time multi-tasking. :oooh:

A hair dryer and a few extra strokes will take care of the bubbles.

Thanks for the tips guys. I just returned from walmart where I purchased a 30 pack of kids brushes for 2 bucks.

Not as good as taters deal but 6cents a piece I can throw away without loseing sleep.

I also purchased 100 latex free gloves to reduce contamination.

I'm off to the shop, I'll report new results tonight.