Mattmaddog

HELP

I am going to try to paint my first bait today. My question is this... When i put the first layer of paint on do you let it dry until you put the next one on? also how long would that take? do i use a hair dryer? next question... when spraying pearls what tip should i use i have a ps 900 should i use the .3 or .2 lastly how do you clean your gun out? thanks

I normally dry each color with a hair dryer as I go, although I'm not quite as thorough as I am when finished painting--it also depends on how much paint I apply in each coat, the more paint, then the more I dry.

With my gravity feed Iwata, between colors I clean the cup, and the tip with a small nylon bristle brush, or a similar paintbrush, and then backflush with distilled water. I find that a trash can, and plastic bottles with squirt tops are real handy if you're not painting next to a sink.

I like to heat set each coat of paint. To clean my brush (gravity feed) I put windex in the cup cover with my hand and shake it, refill the cup with windex and spray it out. You may have to repeat these steps a couple of times.

With the .3mm tip you may have to back the needle out just a little to get an even spray with the pearls.

I wouldn't go any smaller than the .03 tip, or you'll surely have trouble spraying the pearl paint without thinning it, which means a lot more coats. If you go the thinner route, use the reducer/thinner that Createx recommends, or a small amount of Windex. Too much thinning can make the paint film weak, and make it bond poorly.

Do a test on a piece of PVC pipe with a small batch of thinned paint first to make sure it works before you start painting a lure.

Heat set after each coat with a hair dryer. Start on low speed fan and high heat, so you don't chase the wet paint around on the lure, and then finish with the higher fan speed, if you have a two speed/heat setting hair dryer.

The hotter you can get the paint the better it sets.

As Downriver pointed out, this is really T shirt paint, which is meant to be heat set with an iron before it's washed, so it likes heat.