disturbingiraq

Hello from Mosul, Iraq

Hi my name is SGT Michael Birkoski

I am currently deployed and want to thank each and everyone of you for taking up most of my down. I love this site. I grew up pouring jig heads up north walleye fishing now I am stationed in Texas. I fell in love with bass fishing and gonna give it a shot at pouring my own worms( again way to much time on my hands) sorry for the long post just wanted to introduce myself and prepare you all for the bombardment of questions I am about to ask.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? I know this is not the forum but I have a few general ?'s around multiple aspects of the things you guys do. First I messed with some airbrushing in high school, now i think i would like to paint my own custom crankbaits. (All of this is for my family and me, not planning on selling anything.) Secondly my wife would like to try her hand at pouring plastics. Lead pouring im pretty good at I did it alot as a teenager. Can you guys point me in the right direction with setup's, gear that is a must have and some tips you guys have learned through experiance. Thank you again i know its a long post and in the wrong section.

Mike

First off "Hooah!" and thanks brother, thanks to you and your family for the sacrifice. I know its not easy but just watch your 6, keep your head down and come home safe.

As far as the plastics. You can buy some very inexpensive molds from Bobs, Janns, Del-mart etc to start off with. Get a couple and get the feel of it. I get almost all of my plastic supplies from Del at del-mart. plastics, colors, glitter etc. There are a ton of great plastic threads to teach you the ropes. I prefer the microwave method as I dont pour in mass quantities.

As far as airbrushing. There are a lot of great brushes out there and it is endless at the things you can do. its all about imagination and most importantly, layers. I prefer a gravity fed airbrush and a compressor with a regulator. Experiment on old cranks, pvc pipe etc. Have your wife start saving old panty hose, loofas, netting etc.

I have to warn you up front that it will quickly become an obsession.

Again, thank you for taking the watch. You are a great American and a true Hero. Stay safe and we will see you on the water when you return brother.

Edited by sapper.johnson

Can you guys point me in the right direction? I know this is not the forum but I have a few general ?'s around multiple aspects of the things you guys do. First I messed with some airbrushing in high school, now i think i would like to paint my own custom crankbaits. (All of this is for my family and me, not planning on selling anything.) Secondly my wife would like to try her hand at pouring plastics. Lead pouring im pretty good at I did it alot as a teenager. Can you guys point me in the right direction with setup's, gear that is a must have and some tips you guys have learned through experiance. Thank you again i know its a long post and in the wrong section.

Mike

Are you planning to do repaints or are you building the baits yourself, it has alot to do with how much stuff you will need to start.