george12182

powder water

A friend of mine uses this stuff. What you do is mix it I think to a 1:1 ratio powder to the liquid. Then paint it on with a brush. Once it dries, cure like you would regular powder paint. You can use it in an eye dropper and do some cool striping with it, add gills, etc... Hope this helps.

Benjamin

TJ's Tackle

A friend of mine uses this stuff. What you do is mix it I think to a 1:1 ratio powder to the liquid. Then paint it on with a brush. Once it dries, cure like you would regular powder paint. You can use it in an eye dropper and do some cool striping with it, add gills, etc... Hope this helps.

Benjamin

TJ's Tackle

This sounds pretty neat. I think I'm gonna have to try this. Do you know if you have to use it right away after you mix it with the powder or can you store it once its mixed?

This is what I got back: Ben had it right on the nose though!!!!!

Doug,

Yes, you would re-cure again. It would be great for the eyes and whatnots!

It will work with all brands but with metallics you will need to test to make sure it blends with before putting on actual production parts.

I hope this helps.

God Bless,

Brian Talley

Columbia Coatings

www.columbiacoatings.com

931-388-7730

This is a little off the beaten path, but about 10 years ago I worked at a company that made big cabinets. They were all red powder paint textured. Well we got some that had small scratch marks, and at the time I spoke to a powder paint company and they told me this is how they touched them up. You take the powder pigment and you mix it with MEK. Once mixed, you apply it with a brush. The powder paint was a liquid, and it did work. I don't ever recall anybody doing this anywhere, and I don't kow why. It definitely clears the sinuses, maybe that's why, MEK has a very strong smell. Just thought I would share some old school knowledge.....I too am very curious about all the above information. Keep this thread going with any updates.

More answers to your questions!!

Doug,

You can store it for a bit but may have to add some powder water back to it once you get ready to use it. It does dry up a little!

Yes, you can thin it enough to go through an air brush but you will need to get a little larger nozzle size to let it go through.

Yes, you do cure again, whether it is 10-20 minutes is your call. I usually don't go 20 minutes on something small like you guys are doing. I would only go from 10-15 minutes.

I hope this helps.

Yes, we have gotten about 10 phone calls on it after it went up on whatever forum you guys are on!

Remind everyone, Powder Water is only really good for small stuff like what you guys are doing! It does not by no stretch take over the actual powder coating method with a standard powder gun on large stuff. It just will not lay correctly!

God Bless,

Brian Talley

Columbia Coatings

www.columbiacoatings.com

931-388-7730

Fatman

Mt and all

Not a problem and Brian was really cool about all the questions plus all the phone calls he got!!!!!!!!!!

robalo01

Heat your jigs, dip in powder paint then cure. Mix color and powder water together put your eyes, lines patterns over the cured coat then recure again.

As Brian said it might take a few tries with different lengths of time to make sure they cure right.

I use the wifes stove but I have to clean it afterwards just the deal we have, but pretty soon I'll have the old stove in the basement as we're getting a new one.

Fatman

Just got some of this. Says right on the label 1:1 by weight. I'm not one to measure :whistle: so does anyone know what the consistency should be?

btw, when I placed my order it some how got missed and when I asked about it, Doug replied that they dropped the ball and it was out of stock when he tried to fill my order. He added a catalog and offered a pound of powder to make up for the mishap. Since a pound of powder is a lot for me I asked for a 2oz bottle of Illusion Emerald.

All I can say is great customer service. Wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

Sorry for the tangent but I thought I would mention my experience with Columbia Coatings in case anyone hasn't used them.