CL Rods

Balsa filler, wire and assembly questions

It is a pity their isn't a wood that comes inbetween a light cedar and a heavy balsa, something around 0.25 - 0.30gm/cm3. I am fortunate to have such a beastie over here, called albesia.

Unfortunately, the density can vary considerably between planks, so I have to continually measure the density and tune the construction accordingly. But by keeping records, I will be able to slicken up this process.

Jamie, I get your point. Testing for such would be difficult, so I guess we will just have to use good old common sense.

Dave

I may still have a bait or two in the garage thats busted and I will show some pics of the damage. Its just in some waters you never know what you are hooking up with. The state record musky at one time was held by an older woman who was trout fishing with power bait, go figure. It just goes to show you every cast ,anythingcan happen and any fish in the water could be on it.

Edited by jamie

Super Glue (CA Glue) is not waterproof. This would make a poor sealer if you don't have an impenetrable topcoat.

For balsa baits a good waterproof sealer, solid paint, and strong yet not brittle topcoat will make the baits that will stand the test of time.

I second that, you'll have to pay me good money to use super glue for screw eyes and sealer, it's a mess when it comes in contact with water. Used to seal and mount screw eyes with super glue, man I was so happy to see how it hardens the wood until one day when I was testing an unpainted lure, the surface of the lure got white and the screw eyes got out easily when I pulled them with my fingers. I'm not going back to that moment :lol: Of course you won't get there until the water breaks through the topcoat and paint, but for me it's riscky. Maybe CA Glue in USA has better quality :mad:

Propionate or fast curing epoxy mixed with acetone will harden the balsa too

As for screw eyes vs thru wire :

balsa - thru wire

basswood ( "tei" in Romania same familly and density) - screw eyes for small fish lures

- thru wire for catfish and pike

Anyway all methods will work if you are confident in using them, it's just a matter of precaution(usually time consuming)

Edited by pikeman
  • Like 1

Guys a lot of good information :yes:about hook hangers in balsa. I use twisted wire but leave about 3/8 of an inch at the end of the wire and bend one wire back a little less than 180 degrees. When you try to pull it the wire that is bent back a little less than 180 degrees bites into the wood adding additional strength. CA or epoxy seems to hold well. I have also tried using a 3/16 inch diameter dowel as an insert in the balsa then drill the hole for the wire, it to will work. I have taken vice grips and also pulled on the wire and can't remove it. Just a few more ideas to add to the pot :).

Thanks

rotorhead