atrophius

Foiling....

I am pretty new here, but I just wanted to share some cool thing I been working on. I don't have pictures to post yet. I have been using silver leaf on some of my foiling job and it turns out pretty good.

Well, i got this idea. Instead of foiling over my netting, I have put my adhesive down, let it sit up, then put down my netting, foil over bait, and then take the netting off. With a black undercoat, I think it turns out pretty well and it leaves your lure smooth instead of textured. I managed to rush this one, the adhesive was still a little gooey and some of the scales smudged.

This is the creek chub swimmer I am working on. It is about 4"

Edited by atrophius

Looks pretty good to me, you have done what everyone else does in reverse, who needs an airbrush when you can foil and scale it in one go. I know Vince ('Fatfingers') had a bit of a fad on 'leafing', but I don't think he done any like yours. Fade a bit of opaque paint over the leaf, (seal the leaf first) and no telling what masterpiece you could come up with. pete

Hi atrophius

Sometimes inovation is a great thing and you have found a way of getting round the problem of no airbrush, that has to be admired ;). As for the results, OK maybe there are a couple of smudged scales but the end result was achieved and looks just fine to me. At the end of the day is the fish going to look at a lure and think 'I aint eating that it has a smudged scale' :lol: I think not, all lures are made to catch fish and anglers, the former being priority of course, and if it catches fish you can truly call it a 'Success'.Keep up the good work.

it is a really thin foil. Some are not actually silver. They use it for what they call gilding. You could find a lot of videos on you tube about gilding.

I have about 15 sheets of the stuff for 12 dollars. So depending on bait size, you can get a couple of them done per sheet. Once I use up this stuff, I my try some other things. I will still work to get the scale pattern better though. I think the material of my netting was a little to thin(like really thin mono) causing the leaf to just split and fold back down. Instead of taking up the foil in the spaces where the black is supposed to show. Who knows, I am gonna try it on a glider and see if a one piece bait is easier.

Oh and if your using aluminum foil, I saw on another website, a guy that was using the diamond pattern grips on xacto knives to roll over his foil to give it a scale pattern. i tried it on a couple loose pieces of foil, and looks pretty cool.

Edited by atrophius

Looks OK to me. I have been playing with foil myself. I used aluminum duct tape. Wrap the bait and smooth out with a sharpie pen by rubbing it. Then take a socket wrench with a knurled handle and roll it on the bait with some pressure. To me, this is about as good as it gets. :) I put the seam at the top or bottom and cover with a tad of paint and clear.

21xdc,

Try rolling your knurled handle across your foil before you place it on your bait. Then use a screwdriver shaft to smooth the edges. You'll be surprised how well your scale pattern on the HVAC tape will hold up while you're putting the foil on the bait. Coat with D2T, E-tex, etc. and then paint.

Gene