atrophius

Painting

Hey there. I am at a bit of a loss over what to do for painting lures. The ones I have done have been foiled and painting them by hand has proven to be utterly frustrating for me.

So my question is, would creatix paints do just as well with hand painting? I am not to sure I want to get into airbrushing just yet. The gel type paints I have just do not hold up over the foiling and clear coat. They are water based, but every time I try to add more to it, the base coat get wet and comes off. I am thinking a better quality paint could be had, any ideas?

Well, I hand paint like a 3 yr old but my recommendation is to use a hair dryer and thoroughly heat set each acrylic color after you apply it. That cures the paint and makes it somewhat waterproof so later brush strokes won't dissolve it so easily. A solvent based paint would adhere better than acrylics but once you buy enough colors to paint a variety of baits, the cost might approach what you'd pay for an airbrush and compressor. One alternative is using aerosol can paints instead of a brush. Sprayed paint has a more even surface appearance than a brush and it allows you to shade colors into one another. Regarding Createx, I don't think there's any advantage in Createx instead of cheaper "hobby acrylics" if you're brushing it. The Createx just has smaller paint grains and flow enhancers that allow it to shoot through the small tip of an airbrush.