hadesalmighty

automotive clear over createx paint question

my question will the clear hold up?

I have a few reels broken down for cleaning and the thought hit me "I should custom paint this thing"

Obviously I can't use devcon so I wanted to see thoughts about this idea.

Thanks as always for all responses.

First be sure to clean the surface with a grease and wax remover and then lightly scuff the surfaces to be painted with a scotch brite or similar pad. This will provide the mechanical bond you require. Your base coat should be Auto Air sealer white or dark depending on the color scheme. Full coverage should take three light coats, no less or it will be too thick. You don't need to heat set Auto Air but it will dry faster if you do.

You should use the new Wicked Colors or Auto Borne paints from Createx as they are formulated for that purpose. Actually I highly recommend them anyway as they atomize extremely well due to the higher solvent content and especially when reduced with their 4011 reducer.

To clear coat apply a light tack coat, wait the appropriate flash time and then apply another two medium wet coats allowing sufficient flash time in between.

Edited by Snax

It should still be ok but the clear coat may not chemically bond with the regular Createx as well as it does with the Wicked and auto Borne paints.

I'll see if I can get you a sample pack of those paints to try out. I'm sure that you'll make the switch after using them along with the 4011 reducer. Please email me at muskysnax@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do for you.

I'll see if I can get you a sample pack of those paints to try out. I'm sure that you'll make the switch after using them along with the 4011 reducer.

He's not kidding.

I got a free sample of the Wicked White and Wicked Black, plus a small bottle of the reducer, and I'm almost out of all of them!

I'm trying to figure out how to get another free sample of both the black and white, and the reducer. But I'll gladly pay for it if I have to, it's that much better.

The white makes a great base for most of my paint schemes, and the black is my basecoat for my black crappie schemes, or any scheme that has a darker tone.

Dries really fast, and heat sets great. Thin coats are the key.

I just wish they made the same palette of colors as Createx.

Transparent colors and pearls would be dynamite. And irredescents would also be nice.

I don't want too much, do I? :lol:

Paint your baits... one day!

Let them sit for 2 or 3 days and dry out good or HEAT SET THE PAINT REALLY GOOD!!! THEN CLOSE YOUR EYES AND

PRAY..... I MEAN SPRAY!!!! just kidding.. I sprayed 100 lures today no problems.. HECK.. I even combined some FINGER PAINT!!!! my Auto Air, Createx and Joe Molaski secret formula number #275 with some Crackle Bearel ma jig...paint.. I like to mix black and white to get a lighter shad of grey.. :yeah: Just remember this.. oil and water doesnt mix.. unless you drive a CHEVY!!! Way to go 24!!! 47 RACES ITS ABOUT DANG TIME!!!...

When you use Dupont products you can walk on water. Or paint on it if you like...:yay:

Basically your good do go bud!! Just make sure your waterbase paint is dried out really good before you spary it.. and wipe off the dust with a tack rag.

Mark,

Any of the Wicked Colors/Autoborne paints can be made transparent by mixing with Auto Air transparent base and then reducing with 4011.

Only over reducing with the 4011 isn't optimal as the transparent base has the paint binder in it and will give far better adhesion.

My pleasure. I do what I can for Createx to expose potential customers to their new paints. I use them exclusively and they are quite versatile. The new Auto Borne/Wicked Colors are the same paint and work just as well on T-shirts as they do for lures or automotive applications.

I'm not a paid endorser, just a guy who truly uses and loves the products they sell. That appreciation works both ways and they appreciate having real world users like myself willing to take the time to talk about their products and offer help to those who ask. They are a great company run by great people.

Please let us know how you like the paints after you've had time to try them out and please be honest if there's anything you don't like. That feedback will be given to Craig and considered for future changes.

Hey Snax Is 4011 the auto air reducer, that you are saying to use in the createx wicked colors? When i looked up Createx the only reducer was a 100 for the wicked colors. This water based is sure a differant animal than solvent based. But it just a matter of time before i get it.

They suggest using the 4011 reducer for all the paints. There is also 4010 reducer which doesn't dry as quickly. The Auto Borne and Wicked paints contain some solvent but still far below the solvent level found in other paint types.

I'm just loving the smoothness of the new Auto Borne paints especially the Back and Whites which are notoriously hard paints to lay down smoothly. You can reduce them over well over 50% with the 4011 reducer to get fine details at lower pressures.