KelpKritter

Props for PVC

Out of curiosity here, what is your experience with regard to action and densities >1? All I've ever done in this area is with material that has densities of <1, so I can only guess what a sinker would do. Now bizarre hybrid lures and various darting flies/jigs work pretty well at sinker densities (all material) for me, but shape plays a big role here.

Good note there, Mark, I didn't see that and assumed that the PVC was a floating variety.

Has anyone ever built plugs with all material that is actually heavier than water? Recall a few oak threads and heavy woods that had lame glider or crankbait action, but those are a bit different principles to chase there. Occurs to me that a "plug material" of such density lends itself more to spoon or spoonplug type principles, but that's just speculation. IOW, and ironwood crank may suck and have diminished action (if any), but perhaps a body shape more reminiscent of spoons and chatters could behave differently?

I do use a darter/dogwalk jig that I've made with everything from wool, epoxy, hotmelt, even soldered blades and the heavier material does intrigue me. Rather like some slopehead floaters, but the upsidedown reverse with a nicer walk, wobble fall, and a spoon swim on the steady retrieve. Proportion and balance is the puzzle, but I just may try it with some of these heavy PVC's is the price and availiblity is kind.

Jrav, very good question. So good, it really deserves a thread of its own.

There is no real difference going negative buoyancy, other than the lure sinks when you stop. As density increases, inertia increases. How important this is, depends on the type of lure that you are designing. But, no matter how dense the material, you still need some ballast to hold a vertical attitude. Often the hooks and split rings are enough to achieve this.

Often and I include myself in this, we are too quick to write off denser materials, but they do have there place in the tackle box. I have only built cranks so far, plus a couple of swimbaits. For lively cranks with a wide

Thanks for the insight, Vodkaman, and we'll likely see a few future threads on higher density PVC's and others once experiments get going. Just lucky with gliders and dogwalks I guess...my first run, slob-jobs are behaving well with whatever I do them with be it light wood, oak dowel, or bouyant PVC. Bass caught, but that's stillwater bass.

My big curiosity now is the river application and that begs for a bit more sinkabilty, especially with regard to typical smallmouth sizes I use. The oak dowel darters got the moves, but even with that heavier wood, the ballast doesn't sink it well and there's only so much room for even tungsten weights. The attactiveness of >1 extends a bit to structural integrity as well, the hardness and stiffness required for smaller lures is an asset. With the expanded foam I currently have, there's a limit to how little material I'm comfortable with for durabilty. Great for fattish lures, but just not the stuff for a narrower tail. Think sluggo or senko shaped hardbaits, you'll see what I mean. Couple that shape with ballasting issues and we got some mighty thin areas of material to rely on under stress. Expanded foam is not all that rigid and strong, at least on one piece lures.

For kicks and to see the practicality of working with the hard. dense plastics the next project is with some cutting board material at around 8-10mm thick. Not PVC, but it'll hold a screw eye and no problem on structural integrity even when ballasting cavities are dremeled. If it's tolerable, I'll take a shot at the some of the stuff Goonsdad is playin' with, perhaps even start a thread with some pictures if I get a camera.

Rather cool twist, this >1 thing, kinda opens up material possibilties that I never thought of as useful. Once again, roaming about the dwelling looking for new things to hack a lure out of:eek: