EugeneM

Trouble with Tube Tails

Cobra,Please let me know how the large amount of tail cutting works.

I tried this many years ago,and couldn't get the tubes lined up right.Please keep me posted,because I have been asked this queston before.It seemed that less than 20 blades,and cutting one at a time was about right.It seemed the more blades on the cutter,the more difficult the cut,sorta like the bed of nails trick.

when you go to buy cutters get them from ebay. i got 40 blades shipped for 25 bucks, i went to every craft store and couldnt find them cheap. the cheapest was 5 bucks for 2 blades, no friggin way i was dropping 60-70 buxs to make a cutter. my current cutter is a 20 blade and i have enough to make a second!

:yay:hey I bought the complete kit from bojon and its great. the dvd and cd-r show you how to make tubes from start to finish. the bojon cutter also works better than any others cutter i have seen and the complete kit has a small pan etc. I would recommend this kit and cutter to anyone I know. I think that anyone can make some tubes after watching this. Its all step by step and really easy to follow. thanks bojon

I put a simple one together myself using utility blades from the hardware store. I got the ones with holes in them, ran 2 #8 screws through with 2 #8 flat washers per screw between each blade. I put the tube on a paper plate (plate is on my wooden bench) position the blades where I want them then (move my fingers) and hit the blades with a rubber mallet. So far I've gotten decent results. Probably not near as good as the one Mr. Bojon offers, but I got everything at the local hardware store on the cheap and was using it the same day.

I made a cutter a few years ago that worked great. let me see if I can describe it.

1. I took about 12-14 utility blades and some 1/8" lexan

2. Cut the lexan into pieces as long as the blades but about half as high that will act as sepatators.

3. Built a small wooden frame from 3" X 3/4" plywood to surround the blades and separators. It is important that they fit tight. I belive that makes the frame about 1/4" shoter than the blades. So, in other words, the blades are sticking out of he frame about 1/4" high.(I think).

4. Nail the frame down on a larger piece of plywood.

5. Lay the tubes on the blades. Take another small board about 1" all around larger than the blade "bed". I made a handle for this board. Press down, no need to hit it with anything. Done.

Lube the blades with worm oil, or the plastic will tear when you're pulling it out. You can adjust the distance between the blades with different thickness of lexan, or whatever spacer you choose.

It's been a while, but this is my best recollection. I know I could make another one without any trouble. I'm not sure about all of these measurements.

I do remember that the cutter needed to be considerably wider than the tube as it spreads out when you push on it.

PS. I thought about using cheap retractable "exacto" knife blades for longer tubes.

I also used a bunch of utility blades enclosed in a tight fitting wooden box,that was placed over the tube,and hit with a rubber mallet.I used JB WELD to set the blades.This method served me well when my home was out in the woods,but when my health got me down I had to move to a apartment,and no longer could make the noise that the mallet made.This type of cutter does very well,and the tails will come out as well as with the rotary cutter.I made many thousands of tubes over the years,and only used the box cutter.I may have never went to the rotary except for my move.The rotary may be a bit easier,and a whole bunch quieter,but a lot more costly.

In my instruction DVD/CD-R,I show the steps I make in order to make the box cutter.If you request,a couple of photos of this process I will email the photos.Just request the photos for the cutter,and I will send some copyright photos of HOW TO.Send your request to kocron@comcast.net I will need your full EMAIL ADDRESS!

My stupid photo program won't allow attatchments.The box way is cost effective,and when things are tough,would allow to make some tubes till things settle down.:)