TightLinez

Some more swimbait help needed.....

Is it necessary to cut your swimbait pieces in half in order to add hinges of any kind? Why can't you just drill some pilot holes for the eye screws and epoxy them in? I'm new to the whole swimbait thing so I'm trying to find the easiest way to go about it. I also just ordered John Hopkin's video, and I bet that will be a major help!

@ TightLinez

In his vid JRHopkins is utilizing a through wire harness put inbetween two body halves .

Undoubtely screweyes are the easiest way to go , but I guess , that many builders do not do it this way , since the gap inbetween the sections turns out rather large this way , also one can't interconnect the screweyes , when using those "V"-shaped section ends engaging into one another ,....the ends need to be straight cut .

In this case you could insert a pin through the opposing eyescrews , but the gap would still be quite wide .

The bait would surely work with such screweye hinges as well , but won't look as compact .

I am presently working on some homemade sheet metal hinges , don't know , whether you have already seen the thread "sheet metal hinges" ?

With these hinges you don't need two body halves , but it would take some time to build the hinges as well ,.......gonna put up a tut about it during the coming days/weeks .

greetz , diemai:yay:

Thanks deimai. I was probably going to go with the screw eyes and pin type of hinge. I've got a few swimbaits like the JSJ Snack Sized Trout and Bluegill and the Mattlures Hardgill that use the same type of hinge. They both utilize the "V" cuts as well. The gaps might be wide by some peoples' standard, but it doesn't bother me that much. Rigt now I was looking to make a few and get the building process down. Once I am happy with my carving and weighting, I might dabble a bit with different hinges. I'll take a look at that thread and I look forward to your tutorial. Appreciate the help.

Tight lines,

Jordan

Jordan ....i faced the same dilemma as most when attempting swimbaits...i've

made numerous 4"-6" swimbaits in the past year utilizing screw eyes. the gap is somewhat larger, mine are about 3/8" of an inch. i've found that construction is easier and faster (although i've been known not to have much patience :lol:)

fortunately for me i haven't had any fish come "unhinged" and the fish don't seem to mine. th_P1000532.jpg :yay:

good luck, surfk9

Jordan,

I use the screw eye and hinge pin type of hinging system. I can make the joints as loose or tight as I want. The reason the joints are looser, is to enhance the swimming action.

I make my joints with 20 degree angles, more or less. Some use 45 degree. I don't want that sharp an edge on my joints. To me, they are too thin and fragile, and they are very hard to epoxy.

I don't think the gap matters on a swimming lure, since the joints are constantly opening and closing, but I do like an angled joint better than a square faced joint for my lures. Just a personal preference.

People like Snax and Nate have developed cast hinges which have no gap. I'm not up to that skill level yet.

Thank you Mark and Surf! I also like the angled cuts- I think it makes the look flow a little better (unless you have Snaxs and Nate's skills) :worship:. Can't wait to get started! Mark, do you have any plans of putting your trout on the market? I bet those things would sell like CRAZY! Beautiful work man. :yay:

With all the figuring on these hinges why not use interlocked cotterpins pushed into predrilled apposing holes with epoxy as far in as you what them so that you have the amount of swing your looking for. they do make different lengths of pins. I use snippers to grove them and bend the end up so they won't pull out and have'nt had no prob. B) Or one of the days i'll give out my other method. :nuhuh: