macbor

Divided Cup

Hey,

I am in the process of making a divided cup for pouring swirls, I have read a lot about the process but I have a question.

I am using tin as my divider, with a JB weld type product, if I painted the tin black with BBQ paint would I be able to reheat my plastic in the microwave

I plan on heating up my plastic in two seperate cups and pouring it into my divided cup, but I'm concered with reheating?????

Thanks for the help

Rich

why does everyone use metal?! take a piece of nylon sheet and use that or another type of plastic? i would think the metal would be straining the microwave as well. how bout a thin piece of wood that was coated? i have been meaning to make a split cup but never got around to it.

Yeah but the problem I'm having with some is I read a post that said in the absence of H2O you would not get a heat reaction? Plastic and H2O don't mix so how is this possible?:twocents:

Plastic has mositure in it. almost everything does.

why does everyone use metal?! take a piece of nylon sheet and use that or another type of plastic? i would think the metal would be straining the microwave as well. how bout a thin piece of wood that was coated? i have been meaning to make a split cup but never got around to it.
I would think the nylon would melt and coated wood will probably explode because of the retained moisture content. Wood is never 100% dry.

A microwave works off of moisture h2o to make it work, so if something has moisture in it it will get warm.

Metal of any kind does not hurt a microwave that was a urban legend do to when the microwaves first came out lots of women used tin foil which caused a spark. hence the urban legend of not using metal in a microwave. as tinfoil is alumin foil.

anything shiney in a microwave will cause it to arc even very shinny plastic glitter. on reheats its best to cut the glitter that sank to the bottom out, then after the plastic is melted drop it in chunks in the cup and stir it. a clump of glitter will arc and does catch fire in a microwave..

reheating plastic with glitter in it is not a problem as long as its not in a clump.

Myth busters did awsum show on microwaves a few years ago, well worth watching if you can find it. they proved alot of bogus stuff using microwaves and pretty much cooked everything they could find.

wood will actually catch fire in a microwave no mater how dry it is.

for those that have acring on the top use steel wool to take the shinyness off it works perfect.