wildtail97

Best Temperature for Melting Plastisol

I don't think you can get away without stirring it just goes with the territory, anything you add requires stirrring like color, salt, scent or glitter - remember that plastic goes through a gelatin state before it becomes pourable at this point you will always be required to stir.:twocents:

Thanks guys. I have something that can keep its heat to +-1 degree. So I thought if you got the perfect heat maybe it wouldnt need constant stirring. How about after it has gone through its gelatin stage, once its heated through, would it stay that way without much stirring? I am planning on making some large batches for the first time.

Thanks for the info guys!:yay:

The big problem is that plastic is a poor conductor of heat. Even if you managed to get a good stable heat source, delivering heat evenly all around, without burning the plastic. It would still take a long time before the centre of the plastic volume reached the operating temperature. It would probably take hours just to raise the last 20 degrees.

When you heat water in a pan, because the water is thin, it circulates by itself, hot water rising etc. This will not happen with the plastic because of its much thicker consistency, therefore the heat gets isolated around the edges.

Constant stirring is required to mix the hot plastic around the heat source with the cooler plastic at the centre.

Hope I didn't complicate it too much.

Dave

How about after it has gone through its gelatin stage, once its heated through, would it stay that way without much stirring? I am planning on making some large batches for the first time.

Thanks for the info guys!:yay:

Unfortunately when it loosens up and becomes liquid that is when it requires the most stirring in order to keep your additives suspended.