FishBooger

Wood Vs. Alternatives

I don't think it matters what the stuff is as long as it has the right density for the bait and can be shaped and coated without problems. Whatever the material, it will be compared to traditional woods like balsa, basswood, cedar, etc. Do prospective customers care? Yep (if you have customers). Do the fish care? Only about the behavior of the bait in the water. In a practical sense, changing the blank material always changes how you build a bait, and that in turn always changes the end product. Not better or worse, but if a builder has "perfected" a certain bait design, changing the blank material will usually require that he go back and '"re-perfect" the bait, which not a minor consideration.

@ FishBooger

I have already read in two or three publications , that many anglers consider wood lures(crankbaits) to have a better action than plastic ones , but I really can't judge over it to be true or not :huh:!

Might also be a constant repetetion of a formerly coined statement :??

greetz , diemai:yay:

I agree with everyone on this question. While all the newness of this craft is still fresh, keep your mind open and try as many different materials as possible. Certain materials will lend themselves more per design and as time goes on you'll discover which material is best suited for you.

There are a lot of elitist views amongst fisher folk. Many think that if it is not wood then it's not good.

Fortunately, TU is blessed with a lot of forward thinking lure designers, who are prepared to go the extra mile, at their own expense and try new things out and share. This is not just about materials, but all aspects of lure design. This is what makes TU such an interesting place to be.

Actually, I have just switched back to wood, because I cannot find the density (what Bob said) that my lure requires in other materials, also I have an almost unlimited supply and it is very cheap.

Dave

The thing i have noticed about wood vs other materials is that you can catch fish on the others or whatever it be but you can get that one wood crankbait that will out-produce any other bait you could throw. i have bought Poe's cedar crankbaits for bass fishing and not all of them work the same for some reason but you can usually get one or two that work amazing.

why i think this happens is that whe a company makes baits they make it from differnt parts of the tree. the baits made from the outer parts of the tree will be less dense than the ones made from the center of the tree.

just my thoughts hope it helps in some way.

Jeremy

Jeremy, I think you are correct there. Wood is not a constant density, this fact is causing me problems too.

But, if the designer does a proper course of prototyping, to explore the full potential of his bait design, then using plastic, he can make every lure swim at its best.

Dave

well said dave. that is where i'm at with a couple of baits. i have a pike one that looks really good in the water and a golden shiner that i just switched to clay so i can make a mold of it. i just need to bake it and make the mold i'm hopin to get the mold made tomorrow maybe we'll see how ambitious i get.