robalo01

Nuts for rattles

Anybody ever used a chess nut or an almond in a featherlite or high impact foam cast lure? Or, rather what kinds of things do you insert in you mold that will add a rattling noise?

I've though about those little round bells (don't know what they're called right off) that you see around Christmas, but they have holes and would need to be sealed.

I would prefer something that could be used without much prep, and that i can don't have to order from a catalog. Any thoughts?

You can insert tube or jig rattles or you can make your own. In hardwood baits, you can drill a cavity, pop in a ball bearing and seal the chamber. I think most chestnuts are too big :) The bell would work as long as you don't get glue in it but it would probably not be as loud as other options.

I bought 100 7/32" sst ball bearings for $20+- online. I just googled ball bearings, and found a company that sells them separate instead of in races. Boca Bearings is the company.

I drill a 1/4" hole crosswise in my lure body, drop on one bearing, and seal it. I countersink the two ends with a 5/16" bit, glue in punched out pieces of margarine tops (semi stiff plastic) as caps, and bondo over that. Hard plastic might make more noise, but I can't cut it well enough to use.

I use PVC for the lure bodies, so I don't have to line the hole, and it is very loud.

And I found that one bearing is louder than two. I think it's because it travels farther from side to side when it's alone.

Edited by mark poulson
correction and update

I second Mark Poulsons idea, instead of margarine tub lids, I use a paper punch to make thin discs out of aluminum flashing. You can also get the ball bearings at McMaster Carr. BB's will also work. Hope this helps.

John

Edited by JBlaze
spelling error

@ robalo01

Seems , that all of us have hijacked your thread a bit.....:huh::huh::huh:, but as it seems , you can't get something for nothing !

You need to invest money for material and/or work to reach your goals .

To save money , you could try finding material from scrap(aluminium sheet , metall tubing , old ballbearings to gather the BB , etc. , etc. .....), but then you need to invest time to look around and work to shape your material to your demands .

OK , your idea about employing nutshells is cheap , but these are not the best suited materials to amplify and transmit sound , since they do not have a hard surface like metal , glass and some kinda plastics .

For your demands I thing cheeseheads method about the Xmas lights is the best .

good luck , diemai:yay:

I also use aluminum cans for cavity rattle covers. They cut easily with scissors and the thin metal puts out a sharp distinct "shockwave". Plus, there is always a supply available! I imagine a soft plastic cover like a margarine tub top gives a softer thump, sort of like the rubberized rattle in a Spro Little John crankbait. Just depends on the sound you want it to generate.

BobP,

I tried an aluminum can and it worked great.

Of course, I had to do some extensive testing, but I finally determined that empty Bud Lite cans work best. :sauced:

I used an old hole punch that one of my kids had for school, and it cut the aluminum just fine. The punched disc press fits nicely into a 5/16" countersink hole. I just put a drop of crazy glue over it, because I'm compulsive, and then fill with bondo and sand.

I guess one could make a double walled cap, so the bondo doesn't deaden the blow as the ball hits the aluminum disc, but this one is too lazy.:lol: