shadetreepainter

Topcoat

SEAL-COAT is a product made by a company named Component Systems, Inc. It is advertised as "a 1 step epoxy replacement that provides a deep gloss, fast drying, extremely durable worm proof finish--all with no measuring and no odor". It cautions to use in well ventilated area. It is water clean-up. I spray in the garage but the product was made for dipping jig heads and spinner baits. Can be purchased from Barlow's or Netcraft or from the manufacturer in larger quantities.

1/8 oz of finish on a commercial bait? Seems like a bunch! On 2 - 2.5" bass baits coated with 1 coat of D2T, I usually see .03-.04 oz in extra weight. I'm wondering if the bait was wood? Commercial builders often use solvent based glues or similar coatings as a thick "build up" layer before they paint and clearcoat. When I'm refinishing lures like that, I leave the build-up coat on the lure to preserve its weight and shape - and so I won't have to deal with raw wood.

The total combined weight of the epoxy finish added to the factory finish was 1/8 oz. I stripped all the finish and paint down to the plastic. The lure was plastic. I have also repainted wooden and plastic lures that have had a gesso type undercoating that was used to even out surface blemishes and adjust weight. I have used thinned D2T as a primer to seal and even out surface blemishes on wooden lures.