pbeguy

Vintage Fenwick Blank SP903

I have a Fenwick Blank that my Grandfather gave me 30 plus years ago. It is labeled Fenwick Model SP903 and has no other markings.

I know my Grandfather built custom saltwater trout and flounder rods at his bait and tackle shop in the 1970's.

It is 90 1/2" long and 3/4 wide. It is yellow resin.

I am going to build it or have it built and give it a try.

Can anyone tell me something about it?

If you have not received any answers, I will try to help.  I started building rods on Fenwick and Lamiglas one-piece blanks.  The Fenwick's were of the description you gave.  I am guessing but I think the SP903 would be in the range of 8-15 lb. line and 3/8 to 3/4 oz. lure rating.  I have the old catalogs but don't  want to clean out the closet to find them at this time.  The blanks were top of the line when they came out but were soon replaced with S-glass, E-glass, and Graphite.  I found the one piece blanks to be a PITA to travel with.

I'm from the upper Texas coast. The SP903 was our favorite "poppin' rod" for trout. and incredible for flounder. the soft tip was excellent for a good pop on the cork. most of used a Garcia Ambassadeur 5500C reel on them with a good cork handle. I passed mine down to my nephew a few years ago and he's still fishing with it. that rod is what got us all started on the soft tip for a poppin' rod. and it gives you great feel for flounder. it is a little light for heavier redfish. I still fish with three different setups with the soft tip because of my 903...
CaptJack