RiverMan

cutting out cranks

The chinook baits I am currently making from cedar/pine taper at the head and tail. To get the rough shape of the lure I have been first cutting out the side profile of the lure followed by the top profile. Despite my effort to go slow and be careful it seems that I my top profile cuts are never quite as good as I would like them to be. I'm wondering how others here do it, do you use a grinder maybe for the top profile shaping? Do you cut the side profile then reassemble the cut out pieces and cut the vertical?

Thank you.

jed

Jed, The best way to cut out any bait or other carving from a block of wood is to start with a block about 1/2" longer than the lure. Trace the top and side profile on the wood starting at one end and finishing 1/2" from the other end. Make your cuts only to the end of the lure, leaving the last 1/2" intact. Back the blade out of the block and make your next cut. Back out again and then cut the excess off with a cross cut. By doing it this way you are always cutting on a square, flat surface. Good Luck, Joe

Thank you Joe, I will give this method a try.

Out2llunge,

Right now I am working on what looks like a large jerkbait but with a larger, rounder, and more vertical lip in hopes I will get a slow wobble. I plan on fishing the bait behind a dropper weight or diver like you would a kwikfish. The bait is about 6 or 7 inches long.

Jed