longhorn

Acrylic Paint for Plastic

The only paint I use on my baits is for the kill spot. A while back someone posted that they used acrylic paint...even for spraying. I can't remember if it was Bojon or Nova but thanks to both since I have learned much from you. Anyway I bought some regular Plaid paint at you know where and it worked great for my spots. It stuck to the plastic with no preparation. I dip my baits right after adding the spots. It takes only slightly longer to dry but no problem. Sure beats that awful smell of the plastic paint and way cheaper. Again thanks to Bojon and Nova for this idea. Y'all have a great weekend.

Wasn't me Longhorn. I haven't used paints as yet on softbaits, but I'm getting ready to on a new bait I just designed.

I've done airbrushing before when I used to make hardbaits so I should be able to pick it right up with a little practice. We'll see. lol

Thanks for the mention though.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

It was probably me.I paint a lot of my tubes,mostly for show,because I'm not sold on it being that much more effective,although I did get a 31 inch walleye last spring with a shad painted tube.I make them for my own use,so the paint job is rough.I planned on making a video to post,and have the base coat already on the rods,but I can't post any photos.I have had help and gave up,and thanks to the guys who tried to help.It's the gray mass between my ears.

I use the cheap paint from where ever I find it on sale.Clean the tube on the rod with soapy water,rinse,dry,then paint.My paint job is fast and easy.A person could do as good a job as he would want,and make a beautiful paint job.I lose 25 to 50 jigs a trip,so I don't spend much time in painting.One tip use Windex to thin,and protect the painted surface,because it will be very fragile.Dip when dry into clear and the paint is protected.

I will send a photo of some I have painted if you send me your email address and ask for painted tubes. kocron@comcast.net

This process saves the lungs,and I don't have much left.The solvent paints are forbidden.

The thinning of acrilic paints with Windex came from my Son,who does a lot of airbrush work.Where he heard of it I don't know.He sprays a lot with Tamiya acralics,and uses Windex to thin,as well as clean the airbrush.It is a short hop to painting baits.Many years ago I painted candles with Liqutex tube paint,and the paint adhered well.It sticks to soft plastic well enough to dip a second time in clear.Then it is protected.You can glue(or paint)the eyes on before the final dip.

My Son has informed me that thinning with Windex can break down the paint,so use care!!:nono:

I've only used it with tube acrylics and the little bit I used worked very well.I was using it as a surface tension breaker more than a thinner.You will have to test a bit of the paint you are using to see what happens.I'm sorry I didn't mean to give you guys a bum steer.:eek:

I wouldn't let this keep you from painting with acrylics,work with brush,Q-tip,or foam makeup applicator.Airbrush I'm at a loss.

SORRY! SORRY!

You've got nothing to be sorry for. It's up to all of us to experiment as we wish. I don't even thin the paint anyway. So chill...you may worry to much....like me. You're a great contributor to this site and a pioneer and have helped countless people :worship: Have a great week!