Fishhead15

new to airbrushing - help ????

Hi-

I am just getting into the airbrush/lure mods thing and need a little help. I have really only begun to scratch the surface on this site and I am impressed, and maybe a little overwhelmed :worship:! Anyway...based on what i have seen so far, I ordered a PS900 airbrush and AC-182 (? i think) compressor and should get them next week. So, my questions are this -

should i buy blank baits now or practice on some old ones first?

do i need to sand down the factory finish or paint over?

what type of paint and clear coat should i get? i have heard different things so I would like to get some more opinions, please...

what do i need for clean up?

is there anything I may forgetting?

thanks in advance

Eric

Fishead, if you have old baits you might as well start with them. Lightly sand the existing finish with 400 grit paper, shoot a white basecoat and then colors. Most of us use water based acrylic airbrush colors like Createx etc because they're less toxic and clean up with soap and water. I use a spray bottle of water to clean the airbrush between color shots, then disassemble and do a more thorough cleaning with detergent after the session. You want to keep your airbrush spic and span. I won't comment on topcoats, there's endless discussions of them you can access via the search feature.